• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

How Often Do You Trim Your Long Haired Piggy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LydiaMinx

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Pumpkin and Pepper are roughly 4 months old now, Pepper has lovely glossy short hair that requires absolutely no up-keep whatsoever (but she does get a brush every day as she loves it).

Pumpkin is a peruvian, and Oh. My. Lord.

I never had any idea just how much hair they have. Her hair drags behind her already, it's a good 4 inches long and flaps behind her like a magnificent hair robe. I brush her twice a day, but she molts like crazy and still gets tangled, and I'm sure her hair is nowhere near done growing.

How often do you guys trim your long haired piggies hair? I'll be sad to see it go but it is so unpractical for her and me (she gets groomed more than I do).

Thank you once again guys!

Pictures as a treat:

DSC_1935.JPG DSC_1565.JPG

I do Sassy about every 4-6 weeks, depending on how short I clipped her the last time! I don't allow the coat to get much longer than about 2 inches all over as she gets a wet rear end otherwise. I also like piggies to look 'normal' and I don't like extremes of anything so tend to keep the hair short.

I did the same with my long haired pigs, just trim what starts to trail on the floor and a tad shorter on the bum so that they can stay clean.

Those pics certainly are a treat. Getting two long haired rescue piggies in a few weeks so interested in this thread.

I trim the fur once it hits ground level, however long that takes. Right now my short-haired pig has a bad habit of barbering her sister, so a lot of the work is done for me.

I actually trim my long haired pig every couple of weeks - she is SO not a fan of having it cut that it works out as being less stressful for all involved if I keep on top of things by taking off little and often.
I manage to keep her hair pretty short that way, which suits us both too (as she is does love to get dirty by lying in any pee/poo she can find :doh:).

I feel for you! I've had my two now for a month and they are very long haired around the bum... and white... so you can imagine the mess. I'm finding it really hard to keep their bums clean and matt free and they hate being groomed. I tried washing their bottoms today and then trimming and long hair / frizzy hair but again they hated the whole process and squealed like real pigs throughout :( I felt so guilty. Not sure how much to trim really and as I remember giving myself a crap fringe when I was a teenager I know I'm no hair stylist so don't want to give them a weird looking cut! :/

Perran has long hair and I trim her bum area very short. I've only done it once so far in mid-December (got them late November), as that area seems to be slow growing. I've been considering trimming the rest of her a bit in terms of increasing quality of life and ability to be a pig doing piggy things, as it does trail on the floor. But she's very shy so the level of stress involved hasn't made it top priority for me yet.

Perran has long hair and I trim her bum area very short. I've only done it once so far in mid-December (got them late November), as that area seems to be slow growing.
I take that back, I've just trimmed her tonight, hah! So about every 6 weeks?

I do ours every other month now, it reeeeally wasnt working with scissors. I invested in some cheap clippers designed for dogs faces so nice and quiet. A short time of well aimed flailing on my part and 40 minutes per pig has turned into about 5 minutes. Best £20 ive ever spent lol!

I gotta say i am quite surprised it tangles so badly. I barely touch pan her hair but it seems to stay nice and tangle free!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back