• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

How Often Does A Piggy Self-groom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuntyC

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I know this will probably vary between piggies, but how many times during the day can you expect a piggy to have a little scratch, nibble, wash their face and toes and then shake? How can you tell if the piggy is just having its own wash n brush up or scratching in discomfort? My current foster sow received her routine Xeno on Monday, is not sensitive to stroke or handle, but seems quite fussy as to grooming herself. I brush her short, smooth hair twice a week to check her over and all seems very clean and shiny. She is now getting more relaxed and lying out in the open quite a lot too. As she has only been with me a week it might just be a reaction to moving house. Anybody else got a fastidious and image conscious piggy?

Self-grooming can vary enormously, but some piggies do it often; it can even verge on overdoing it and spill into self-barbering.

You notice mites or fungal usually by the different intensity/viciousness of the scratching and skin biting, as well as by visible signs like bald patches.

Self-grooming in company is a way of social interaction. It translates as "I am not hostile and would like to be your friend". I often relax skittish new piggies by mimicking grooming myself and am happy to see them answering by grooming themselves. it is often the beginning of the bond.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...stincts-and-speak-piggy-body-language.117031/

Thanks Weibke. Have been unable to log in all afternoon but just got on again and seen year reply. She is not scratching hard at all, or as often today. Just about to stock up her hay before bedtime, she is such a sweetie!

Thanks Weibke. Have been unable to log in all afternoon but just got on again and seen year reply. She is not scratching hard at all, or as often today. Just about to stock up her hay before bedtime, she is such a sweetie!

the forum was unfortunately experiencing some technical problems for a couple of hours this afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back