How Often/ How Much Alfalfa For 4 Month Guinea Pig?

Lilythepig2017

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
hello

For a guide apig that is 4 months old, how often/ how much (roughly) should I give alfalfa? She does not get any in her pellets.

Thanks so much!

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
hello

For a guide apig that is 4 months old, how often/ how much (roughly) should I give alfalfa? She does not get any in her pellets.

Thanks so much!
By now she won't need any and will grow perfectly well on a normal adult diet. Your guinea pig is now old enough that she could have babies if she had the equivalent of a teenage pregnancy and is no longer a baby. ;)

Lilythepig2017

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Oh! I thought it was until 6 months of age! Good to know! Thanks :D

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh! I thought it was until 6 months of age! Good to know! Thanks :D
The actual extra amounts that a baby needs are in fact tiny. I have never fed any babies living in a group extra, and have never had any health issues because of that. We have accounted for the slightly larger need by recommending a larger amount of pellets for babies than we do for adults, but even that is questionable.

The little surprise baby in my avatar for example is now 6 years old, still going strong for her age and has never been ill. ;)

Lilythepig2017

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
The actual extra amounts that a baby needs are in fact tiny. I have never fed any babies living in a group extra, and have never had any health issues because of that. We have accounted for the slightly larger need by recommending a larger amount of pellets for babies than we do for adults, but even that is questionable.

The little surprise baby in my avatar for example is now 6 years old, still going strong for her age and has never been ill. ;)

That's great to know! I will get rid of my bag. I was giving it once or twice a week but I won't. Thanks for your advice! :) (love the little baby riding on her mommy btw. So cute! that's the second pic I've seen like that. Is that common for them to ride like that? I saw another pic like that. adorable.)

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
That's great to know! I will get rid of my bag. I was giving it once or twice a week but I won't. Thanks for your advice! :) (love the little baby riding on her mommy btw. So cute! that's the second pic I've seen like that. Is that common for them to ride like that? I saw another pic like that. adorable.)
You can continue to give a handful twice a week to use it up a bit more, but she is now past the age where she really needs it.