• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

How Often Should Nails Be Clipped?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poppy Le Rendu6

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
How often should I be clipping my pigs nails? Any advice wou do be great thanks

Guinea pig nails grow at different rates throughout their lives and the grow rate can also vary from piggy to piggy, so there is no hard and fast rule. It depends on how many guinea pigs you have, how much time you have and how experienced you are.

Please don't cut baby nails until they start growing out.

Guinea pig nails grow at different rates throughout their lives and the grow rate can also vary from piggy to piggy, so there is no hard and fast rule. It depends on how many guinea pigs you have, how much time you have and how experienced you are.

Please don't cut baby nails until they start growing out.
What length would be considered too long? Thanks for the help!

I take my piggies to the vets to have their nails cut, usually every 6 weeks or so but it can vary. They also get a health check whilst they are there but I'm to much of a wimp to do them myself especially as I have piggies with black nails.

One of my piggies has a really long quick so her nails often look much longer than they actually are.

I have also had piggies who's nails curled naturally so like Wiebke says, it really can vary.

I would say that too long is when the nails start to curl downwards from the nails being too long. Also by the sharpness of the nail. It will look uncomfortable for the pig to stand and walk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back