• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

How often to clean boar perianal sack with a cotton bud?

Shelley anne

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I got my boar almost a couple of months ago now and when I got him they said his perianal sack is a bit loose and to check weekly. So every week I have been getting a cotton bud dipped in olive oil and gently having a little clean out. His perianal sack has been quite clean, a small piece of fluff etc but nothing major, no poop or impaction.

I can see he is a bit loose there as the poops drop out here, there, and every where and not exactly when he poops like the girls do.
He was neutered about 3 or 4 months ago now.

My question is, is it necessary to clean with a cotton bud weekly or would it be Ok to just visually look to ensure there is nothing backed up and instead do a monthly cotton bud clean out?
Can you see if all is well with the perianal sack by just looking at it and not having a cotton bud clean out?

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I think if he’s clean he shouldn’t need a clean. I would still check regularly just to be on the safe side.