• You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

How should I hold a long haired pig while grooming?

Claire5012

Junior Guinea Pig
Hi. My most recent pig is a long haired breed. I'm not sure what yet. He's a possible coronet or coronet cross I'm guessing at the moment. He's about 3 months old and I've had him for about a month now. I groom him fairly regularly which he hates especially since I feel that I haven't had him long enough to properly bond yet but I don't feel I've got much choice since his fur matts so easily around his legs and rear end. When trying to comb under his armpits and get in there with the scissors I am very careful but he does wiggle a lot and fight to get away while squeaking at me in a disapproving manner. Is there a particular way I can hold him to make him feel more comfortable and make my life a little easier? Thank you in advance for any help :tu:

Betsy

Forum Donator 2017/18
Betsy has long hair and she visits the 'ironing board salon' every 4-6 weeks. I put some old newspaper on the ironing board and plonk her on top of it, place something to eat Infront of her and get trimming! She is distracted with eating and then I can just get on with it. I ask the usual salon questions of my client too such as 'been on holiday?' and 'been anywhere interesting lately?' you know just to get the conversation started.

Claire5012

Junior Guinea Pig
Lol! How about trimming the underneath and awkward bits? I've been holding his front end up best I can but he won't stay still. But then I guess he's still a baby and he will get used to it in time :hmm:it's a little like a mini wrestle at the moment

Flutterby

PHOTO COMPETITION WINNER
Forum Donator 2017/18
It sit my long haired pigs on the dining table on a nice fleece pad and brush them that for. The the underneath bits I gently lift up their front end and hold them so that I can access them, making sure their bum and back feet are firmly on the table at all times.

Claire5012

Junior Guinea Pig
Do they start to tolerate it a bit more over time? Luckily Dexter is not the sort of piggy to hold a grudge and a bit of green pepper afterwards is much appreciated :tu: Frodo looks on feeling glad he's an abby and doesn't need as much grooming and still gets some pepper anyway for just sitting and watching :clap: