• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

How soon after a piggy dies should you replace them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I have four female guinea pigs, who live in pairs. Yesterday one of them died :'( so I now have one on her own, and the other two are still together in their pair. I tried putting them all together, but the two older guinea pigs, snuffles and boo, did not seem to like it. Should I get a new guinea pig to live with Milly, the one on her own? She is two, and I wasnt sure if she would take to a younger friend! She just seems very lonely and sad.
I wish I had found this website earlier, you all seem so kind and helpful. Poppy died yesterday due to teeth problems, it was very sudden. I just don't like to see Milly on her own. Any advice would be much appreciated!

I'm not sure how long you should leave it really if at all, I would get another straight away so shes not alone too long :)

Sorry about your loss ((hugs))

Awww I'm really sorry about Poppy dying. I would say if Milly seems sad and lonely she's probably grieving too but I wouldn't leave her too long alone. I'm sure someone experienced will be along soon to give advice on getting and bonding new piggy.

Kathryn x

So sorry to hear of your loss. I would get another a.s.a.p probably a young one would settle in better. Do you not want to persevere with trying to get the others together? You should not put them in together straight away, but put the cages next to each other for a while, so they can see and smell each other. Then you could try them in a run or on the floor and see how they get on. They would not get on if you put one straght in to the others cage, they need to get used to each other. Hope this helps :)

I would get her a new friend ASAP .... get one smaller / younger than she is though, or there may be dominance problems.

linda.b said:
So sorry to hear of your loss. I would get another a.s.a.p probably a young one would settle in better. Do you not want to persevere with trying to get the others together? You should not put them in together straight away, but put the cages next to each other for a while, so they can see and smell each other. Then you could try them in a run or on the floor and see how they get on. They would not get on if you put one straght in to the others cage, they need to get used to each other. Hope this helps :)
thats the way to do it, so sorry about losing poppy I too lost a poppy to the wretched teeth problems along with Patch last week, if you have a large run I would persever with the 3 of them, I find girls are very accomodating with each other i havbe one hugh runw ith 16 girls in together with lots of water bottles food pots and hidey holes they are all very very tolerant of each other and I can and do introduce a new girl and she gets accepted straight away, like I did Jovi last week she is a little tiny girl and the girls rushed to mother her, the 3 you have got should spend nuetral time toghter ie not in their own hutches /runs, good luck and any more inof you need just ask, dont forget to leave a memorial for poppy on the rainbow bridge posting

There is a wonderful story, and even though its about a cat, I think it applies to every other pet...

LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT OF A CAT
by Margaret Trowton

When humans die, they make a will
To leave their homes, and all they have to those they love.

I, too, would make a will, if I could write.

To some poor, wistful, lonely stray

I leave my happy home,

My dish, my cosy bed, my cushioned chair, my toy

The well-loved lap,

The gently stroking hand,

The loving voice,

The place I made in someone's heart,

The love, that at the last

Could help me to a peaceful, painless end

Held in loving arms.

If I should die,

Oh! Do not say:

No more a pet I'll have

To grieve me by its loss.

Seek out some lonely, unloved cat

And give my place to him.

This is my legacy

The love I leave behind

'Tis all I have to give.

I think this answers the question :(

:'( Oh that made a lump in my throat! I'd be really tempted to get Milly a friend asap but I don't know a lot about guinea pigs. Although....I had Scruffy on her own for four weeks and (being a novice!) just plonked Sophie into her hutch with her on the first day! Luckily they got along as I'm told girlies do...but don't take my word for it! Very sorry for you losing poppy, my blessings with her xx

Aw thats so sad (the poem). Sorry to hear about your sad loss. I tend to get a new companion fairly soon to avoid the remaining piggy getting too upset, though most cope well for a little while. A new piggy also brings some joy back and helps mend some of the hurt... though they never replace your lost piggys. If they are girls and you have the space you could try a trio though even numbers tend to be best.

Good luck in finding a new friend

Susie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back