• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

How To Arrange A New Friend For A Beavered Piggy?

Matt

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I lost one of my pigs, Toby, a few weeks back. He's the white Lunkarya in my photo. I'm coming to terms with things but I'm wondering if/when it is appropriate to find a new friend for my other pig Logan. He's only 4 so I'm hoping has plenty of time left in him yet.

I've seen posts saying it's important to get another pig as soon as possible as they're such social animals, however won't this just end up in a never ending cycle of piggies when one goes before the other and they're being replaced one by one? I also don't want to feel like I'm replacing Toby as it's been less than 2 weeks and I still get upset looking at the bit of the garden we buried him in.

If we do get another one what's the best way about it? Gender is obviously important, but should age be similar as well so they should have a similar life expectancy? Toby was also 4 and I feel that he's been taken away far too soon, but I don't want to leave Logan on his own if he has a few years left in him yet.

Another thing is integration. How would be best to do this? We had Toby for a few weeks before we got Logan and placed them together in the card board box Tobys cage came in when we got him a few weeks later as this seemed like a neutral ground for the first meeting, but this isn't really an option at the moment. Am I right in thinking that they really need to be around each other before they're placed together in the existing cage? Logan was always the dominant one even when he was the new one.

Thanks

Age is not so much a factor in bonding piggies as personality. You will never end up with the situation where you can guarantee them both going around the same time. I have lost piggies as young as two years all the way up to 7/8 years. Depending on how your guinea pig is reacting to the loss of his pal is guidance for how quick you act. I am like you, I never wanted to be in a position of feeling like I am replacing a piggy. I have four pigs (1 neutered male, 3 females) which helps me avoid that situation but after a couple of elderly pigs passed at the beginning of the year and Isobel passing from health problems my Daisy was left on her own. She was happy and confident and wasn't grieving which was good but we noticed she wouldn't shut up for over an hour after we got home from work as clearly she was lonely and just wanted to communicate with someone. That in itself was heart breaking and we had real difficulty finding a local rescue with single females or neutered males to pair with her.

The best way, especially for males, is if you are close to one of the recommended rescues then taking Logan boar dating and letting him choose his own pal. This is more likely to result in a more compatible pairing and less likely for them to fall out at a later date. Whenever you bond it needs to be on neutral territory and the cage will need to be scrubbed while they are bonding to neutralise any smells

Age is not so much a factor in bonding piggies as personality. You will never end up with the situation where you can guarantee them both going around the same time. I have lost piggies as young as two years all the way up to 7/8 years. Depending on how your guinea pig is reacting to the loss of his pal is guidance for how quick you act. I am like you, I never wanted to be in a position of feeling like I am replacing a piggy. I have four pigs (1 neutered male, 3 females) which helps me avoid that situation but after a couple of elderly pigs passed at the beginning of the year and Isobel passing from health problems my Daisy was left on her own. She was happy and confident and wasn't grieving which was good but we noticed she wouldn't shut up for over an hour after we got home from work as clearly she was lonely and just wanted to communicate with someone. That in itself was heart breaking and we had real difficulty finding a local rescue with single females or neutered males to pair with her.

The best way, especially for males, is if you are close to one of the recommended rescues then taking Logan boar dating and letting him choose his own pal. This is more likely to result in a more compatible pairing and less likely for them to fall out at a later date. Whenever you bond it needs to be on neutral territory and the cage will need to be scrubbed while they are bonding to neutralise any smells

Is it essential that we get a new pig though? Logan isn't as active as he was, but I guess that makes sense without Toby for him to run around with. How can I tell if he's ok on his own or if it really that important for him to have another companion?

Is it essential that we get a new pig though? Logan isn't as active as he was, but I guess that makes sense without Toby for him to run around with. How can I tell if he's ok on his own or if it really that important for him to have another companion?
Sorry for your loss. Losing a pet is rough and is made worse by worrying about the one left behind. Have a read of this thread here Looking After A Bereaved Guinea Pig

Excellent advice by Kelly above.

The never ending piggy cycle can be a worry, if you aren't sure you want anymore. But it is important as I am sure you will to put Logans needs first. How is he coping? Is he eating okay? Weight stable? If Logan was struggling any you didn't want to get a friend then surrendering him to a rescue would be an option but I know painful. Some piggies do however cope on there own, but each pig is different

Sorry for your loss. Losing a pet is rough and is made worse by worrying about the one left behind. Have a read of this thread here Looking After A Bereaved Guinea Pig

Excellent advice by Kelly above.

The never ending piggy cycle can be a worry, if you aren't sure you want anymore. But it is important as I am sure you will to put Logans needs first. How is he coping? Is he eating okay? Weight stable? If Logan was struggling any you didn't want to get a friend then surrendering him to a rescue would be an option but I know painful. Some piggies do however cope on there own, but each pig is different

He's eating and drinking ok, weight is stable. He's too much of a fatty to go off his food I think. All things considered he really does seem ok, still runs about and squeaks with excitement when the fridge is opened.

I think I'm putting human emotions on to a pig that may not have them. I'll see him sitting in his house and think he's lonely when he's probably just resting. I've known people who've had just the one pig before and it's been just fine.

Sorry Matt - I have to disagree with you there - I've known loads of people who have had a pair of Guineas for years - and when one passes - the remaining one passes within a month . They really do need company of their own kind.

Sorry Matt - I have to disagree with you there - I've known loads of people who have had a pair of Guineas for years - and when one passes - the remaining one passes within a month . They really do need company of their own kind.

How do you get around the never ending cycle of pigs? If we get Logan a friend and then Logan dies in a few years won't I have to get another one for the one that is left?

How do you get around the never ending cycle of pigs? If we get Logan a friend and then Logan dies in a few years won't I have to get another one for the one that is left?
I would talk to your local rescue if I were you .

I think the nearest one to you is Milhaven

/User-agent: * milhaven-rescue.com for their rehabilitation in and around the keighleysteeton yorkshire area, home for abandoned, mistreat, mistreated guinea pigs in need of a loving sanctuary

Most rescues have an agreement that. if your circumstances change, you'll return the adopted Guinea Pig to the rescue .

Back