• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

How To Choose A Good Companion For My Girl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Einahpets16

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello I have had my baby girl for almost 3 weeks now. Everything seems to be find. She eats normally and I think she's happy.
But now I'm thinking about finding a companion for her. Because I read that at a long term it would be better for her. That she would be happier. And I want her to be the happiest she can be.
But I'm completely at a loss there. :oops:
I mean I don't know what should I look for in a companion. Should I look for a male or for another female? And how old should her companion be? Should I look for an specific personally or it doesn't matter?
Another concern about it is her cage. I don't know if its big enough for her and a companion. Her actual cage is 1 meter long and 56 cm wide. So what do you think? Would that be enough?
I have read a lot but all the information available is contradictory.
So maybe you could give me some advice about it. And some tips of what would be better. :ple:
*The picture is of her hiding in her house. She just look out to see what I was doing. 20151214_102541.jpg

Hello I have had my baby girl for almost 3 weeks now. Everything seems to be find. She eats normally and I think she's happy.
But now I'm thinking about finding a companion for her. Because I read that at a long term it would be better for her. That she would be happier. And I want her to be the happiest she can be.
But I'm completely at a loss there. :oops:
I mean I don't know what should I look for in a companion. Should I look for a male or for another female? And how old should her companion be? Should I look for an specific personally or it doesn't matter?
Another concern about it is her cage. I don't know if its big enough for her and a companion. Her actual cage is 1 meter long and 56 cm wide. So what do you think? Would that be enough?
I have read a lot but all the information available is contradictory.
So maybe you could give me some advice about it. And some tips of what would be better. :ple:
*The picture is of her hiding in her house. She just look out to see what I was doing. View attachment 40550

Hi!
What a lovely little girl! And great that you are doing your research. It is good that you are considering a companion; you will enjoy the interaction between the two!

It always needs to be a same sex one, or you will get lots of babies very quickly... Sows can get pregnant from 4 weeks onwards and come into season again within hours of giving birth. Boars can start as early as 3 weeks old! :(
Please check the gender of your girl and also the gender of the companion before you let them meet. You are welcome to post - preferably clear pictures - of the relevant bits in our Pregnancy section if you want a second opinion.
Here is the best sexing link; please always have a look inside the slit with young guinea pigs, as the arrangement on the outside can look remarkably similar. Sexing Guinea Pigs: How to Sex a Guinea Pig

It is always harder when you can't take your own girl to let her choose who she is getting on with. If you don't have that choice, look for a friend that is a bit younger and more submissive. You have to brace yourself for quite some dominance etc. when you introduce on neutral space and in the days after as the girls establish a hierarchy and a working group.
As there are no rescues with a mandatory quarantine in your country, I assume, you may want to consider a quarantine, so you only have to treat one piggy if the newbie comes with an issue.
Importance Of Quarantine
Introducing And Re-introducing Guinea Pigs
Illustrated Bonding Behaviours And Dynamics
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs
Sow Behaviour

The cage is on the small side for what we are recommending, but it is still considered acceptable in many countries. If you have got the space, you could consider connecting two cages for the long term.
You may find this link here helpful in giving you a visual idea of the various cage sizes: Cage Size Guide

A neutered boar and a sow is probably one of the best companionships you can get. You can always see if your shelters allows you to set up guinea pig dating which is where all possible cagemates meet with your pig and you see which has the best chemistry.

Keep your new pig and her in quarantine unless the shelter already did so. This will make sure no diseases are transmitted between the two. When the time is right you can introduce them on neutral grounds and they can set up the submissive and dominant relationship. If the guinea pig you get is younger and smaller and more submissive in personality she'll most likely be the one under your previous one.

That cage is below 120cm x 60cm/7.5 square feet which is the best size for two sows so you could consider connecting another commercial cage or creating a C&C cage. C&C cages are heavily endorsed around the forum due to their cheap cost and you know for certain you're meeting the best size for your pig.

Thank you all for your advices. I have some pictures of her actual cage so you can see it. It has an small second floor so I don't know if that counts as more space. Here are the pictures.
*In one of the pictures you can see her looking at my dog.

20151228_223914.jpg

20151228_223949.jpg

20151228_233211.jpg

20151229_002017.jpg

IMG-20151228-WA0030.jpeg

Generally speaking additional floors (regardless of size) do not count as extra space when calculating cage size. As Wiebke has said it is suitable in many countries. In the uk it is below minimum standards and the advice always stands at "the more space you can give them the better".

Best of luck with finding a companion

Hi!
What a lovely little girl! And great that you are doing your research. It is good that you are considering a companion; you will enjoy the interaction between the two!

It always needs to be a same sex one, or you will get lots of babies very quickly... Sows can get pregnant from 4 weeks onwards and come into season again within hours of giving birth. Boars can start as early as 3 weeks old! :(
Please check the gender of your girl and also the gender of the companion before you let them meet. You are welcome to post - preferably clear pictures - of the relevant bits in our Pregnancy section if you want a second opinion.
Here is the best sexing link; please always have a look inside the slit with young guinea pigs, as the arrangement on the outside can look remarkably similar. Sexing Guinea Pigs: How to Sex a Guinea Pig

It is always harder when you can't take your own girl to let her choose who she is getting on with. If you don't have that choice, look for a friend that is a bit younger and more submissive. You have to brace yourself for quite some dominance etc. when you introduce on neutral space and in the days after as the girls establish a hierarchy and a working group.
As there are no rescues with a mandatory quarantine in your country, I assume, you may want to consider a quarantine, so you only have to treat one piggy if the newbie comes with an issue.
Importance Of Quarantine
Introducing And Re-introducing Guinea Pigs
Illustrated Bonding Behaviours And Dynamics
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs
Sow Behaviour

The cage is on the small side for what we are recommending, but it is still considered acceptable in many countries. If you have got the space, you could consider connecting two cages for the long term.
You may find this link here helpful in giving you a visual idea of the various cage sizes: Cage Size Guide
Thankyou for your reply. I'll of course read all that information and try my best to find her a friend. I had been considering about adding a second cage so they have more space. I actually have an additional cage for that purpose I just need another table for the other cage. And my boyfriend said he would help me out with that. I'm planning on going to a breeder to find her a good younger friend as you said it would be better.
She used to have a cage mate at the pet store but sadly the other day I went to buy some hay there she wasn't there anymore and when I ask the lady said they sold her last week. When I bought her I didn't know she needed a friend so that's why I only bought her. It was later that I found out.

When you buy from a breeder, please double check the gender before you buy and make sure that they separate any baby boars at three weeks old, or any sow you buy may be already pregnant (sows have their first season between 4-6 weeks of age). You may also want to quarantine.

Thanks for your advices. I really appreciate it. I'll up date you of how everything goes with my girl and her future companion. I'll do my best.

We are always happy to give you a second opinion on the gender if you post a preferably clear picture in our pregnancy/sexing section.

We are always happy to give you a second opinion on the gender if you post a preferably clear picture in our pregnancy/sexing section.
Thankyou. I'll try to take a clear picture of Agatha so you could help me see if she's really a baby girl or maybe a boy. :hmm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back