• You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

How to clean out a water bottle?

FiaFlora

Junior Guinea Pig
I have a normal small animal water bottle for my guinea pigs. I’ve been cleaning it out by filling it with hot water and shaking it all around the bottle, and then cleaning it with a toothbrush and water. I don’t know if this is adequate or not? If not is there other methods you would recommend?

PigglePuggle

Teenage Guinea Pig
I have a normal small animal water bottle for my guinea pigs. I’ve been cleaning it out by filling it with hot water and shaking it all around the bottle, and then cleaning it with a toothbrush and water. I don’t know if this is adequate or not? If not is there other methods you would recommend?
Usually a general wash out with hot water should be fine but if needed I clean mine with steradent denture cleaning tablets, other people use milton baby bottle steriliser. Rinse thoroughly afterwards of course. I would try avoid scrubbing as it can scratch the plastic and then bacteria and mould and algae can get stuck in the scratches.

Posyrose

Forum Donator 2017/18
Someone here was shown a good technique by one of the rescues. Half a sheet of kitchen roll placed in the bottle and just add water and shake for a bit! It really works well and it's not too hard getting the paper out afterwards.

Also good for vases!

Julie M

Forum Donator 2017/18
I use Milton in mine. I have 2 sets of bottles for my boys. One on the cage and one to be sterilised I find this works for me. And wow @Posyrose ive never heard that tip before about the kitchen roll. I will need to try that.