• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

How to facilitate recovery from bladder stone removal surgery

EmmaNorth

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, my 5 and a half month old sow went to our exotic vet this morning as the day previous she had weed blood (small dot) and squeaked when weeing and when pooing. Her poo was softer than normal. Today the vet has x-rayed her and noticed two stones. Following the x-ray surgery was recommended and it is what we have decided upon and is happening now. It seemed like a do it and she might die vs don't do it and she will die scenario - so of course we have opted for surgery. Our exotic vet is very good with guinea pigs and we trust their decision. They will give me a to do list of her care needs when we collect her this evening but I want to be as prepared as I can be, and am hopeful that people on the forum who have been through this might have some hints and tips they would share with me to facilitate the best possible chance of recovery for our Moro? Thank you in advance.

I hope she is ok

This guide may help you Tips For Post-operative Care

Also, have a check of her diet. There is a genetic element to bladder stones but all we can do as owners is keep an eye on the diet. Ensure drinking water is filtered and that she has just one tablespoon of pellets per day (water and pellets contribute most calcium to the diet) choosing low calcium and ideally grain free pellets. Also ensure high calcium veg (parsley, kale, spinach) is fed sparingly and only once a week.

Snap ! I hope she is recovering, my dog has got to have surgery Friday, because the blood in wee was to do with bladder stones the same as you, 20210911_145531.jpg20210909_122858.jpg20210915_110244.jpgspecial diet from now on after Friday operation, just want to share ,she is only 3 and an half !

Hi everyone thank you so much for your advice and support. Moro is home with many drugs - painkiller, anti inflammatory and antibiotic. She is to have 60ml of oxbow critical care should she not be eating for herself. Currently she is high on the drugs from the surgery so is only picking at food so we are planning on feeding the full 60ml over the next 24 hours. She has weed at the vets and is pooing at home which is a good sign. I'll keep updating on her progress. We are nervous about syringe feeding putting her off foraging for herself but at present we are keen to keep her gut moving and keep her hydrated.
Jayne - best of luck with your fur baby on Friday I will be thinking of you xx

I'm so glad she is doing well.
Being syringe fed does not put them off eating themselves but it is vital she gets the critical care unless and until she eats enough to maintain her weight herself. Ensure you weigh her every day (at the same time each day) while she is recovering as it is the only way to know she is getting enough food.

Wishing your girl a good recovery!

Please switch from weighing once weekly to weighing daily at the same time in order to monitor her food intake. Since around 80% should be hay (which you cannot control by eye and which your syringe feed is replacing), your scales are the most important way of monitoring and adjusting the recovery process.

Please also review your diet. Any changes will take time to work their way through the body but it is your biggest instrument against more stones. Most calcium comes with the water and with pellets. Here is our diet guide link with a chapter on guinea pigs with urinary tract problems: Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

Hi everyone - Moro update.
She is weeing and pooing but not eating for herself just yet. We have the aim of getting 60ml of critical care into her per 24 hours of not eating.
Our vet has recommended dandelion drops to put in all the water bottles for all the piggies as it encourages more drinking and the drinking more flushes out bladder sludge. We have googled dandelion drops but they all seem to be for people. Has anyone ever used dandelion drops and if so what brand? They are in a small bottle, liquid, with a pipette dropper the ones we are looking at. Thanks!

Hi!

Just keep on support feeding for as long as needed.

Sorry, I have never heard of dandelion drops. Dandelions are diuretic but also a bit higher in calcium.

When Hazel had her bladder stone removed it was day 4 post surgery before she would fully eat for herself and we continued to top up her food intake morning and evening for another couple of days after this. Hope that Moro continues to improve over the next few days.

When Hazel had her bladder stone removed it was day 4 post surgery before she would fully eat for herself and we continued to top up her food intake morning and evening for another couple of days after this. Hope that Moro continues to improve over the next few days.
Thank you Yvonne that is really useful to know. She is still weeing and pooing and has waddled around a bit. She is such an amazing little person to be as well as she is considering what she has been through only yesterday. The other girls in the herd and being very tender with her, grooming her and then leaving her to her favourite spot in the tunnel, which is lovely to see.

Back home recovering ! Because it was a long day from 8.30in morning when left her 20210917_164143.jpg20210917_163721.jpg20210917_154706.jpgIMG_20210917_193205.jpg

Oh my goodness Jayne what an ordeal! I'm glad you have your sweet baby angel home with you. Someone looks like they will have a long sleep in a very comfy bed! I hope it's all straight forward and easy for you now recovery wise. Xx

Hi, my 5 and a half month old sow went to our exotic vet this morning as the day previous she had weed blood (small dot) and squeaked when weeing and when pooing. Her poo was softer than normal. Today the vet has x-rayed her and noticed two stones. Following the x-ray surgery was recommended and it is what we have decided upon and is happening now. It seemed like a do it and she might die vs don't do it and she will die scenario - so of course we have opted for surgery. Our exotic vet is very good with guinea pigs and we trust their decision. They will give me a to do list of her care needs when we collect her this evening but I want to be as prepared as I can be, and am hopeful that people on the forum who have been through this might have some hints and tips they would share with me to facilitate the best possible chance of recovery for our Moro? Thank you in advance.

I hope the op went well and she is now on the road to recovery.

Hi weepweeps yes thank you day 2 post surgery she is still weeing and pooing. And improvement wise the wee is now bloodless. She is still not eating for herself. So we are still syringe feeding 60ml per day in 10ml instalments through the day/night with water also. I'm hopeful, based on other people's experience with bladder stone surgery/that some drugs suppressing appetite, she will eat for herself in the near future. We have a vet check up tomorrow morning. The surgery site. It looks very neat with no swelling or discharge at present so we are cautiously optimistic. Xx

Hi weepweeps yes thank you day 2 post surgery she is still weeing and pooing. And improvement wise the wee is now bloodless. She is still not eating for herself. So we are still syringe feeding 60ml per day in 10ml instalments through the day/night with water also. I'm hopeful, based on other people's experience with bladder stone surgery/that some drugs suppressing appetite, she will eat for herself in the near future. We have a vet check up tomorrow morning. The surgery site. It looks very neat with no swelling or discharge at present so we are cautiously optimistic. Xx

That all sounds really positive. It must be so stressful for you. You are doing great. Fingers crossed she will start to eat for herself very soon ❤️

Good to hear Moro is doing well after surgery. It can take a day or so for them to start eating properly after an op.
Just keep doing what you’re doing.

Glad your dog’s op went well too @jayne

Back