• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

How To Feed Celery?

My mother in law uses a veg peeler on the outside to remove the “strings”.i don’t do that - I just cut it into horizontal strips about 1cm across.

I want to introduce celery to the diet but I don’t know how to chop it without it choking them

Have a look at our sample diet; this gives you about the amount they can have in a day.
Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diet

PS: Against any claims, celery does not choke guinea pigs. In all the years I've lived with them (and they are a few!), I have never had a problem with stuck strands, and neither have other long term owners. In over 10 years of this forum and with literally thousands of guinea pigs passing through here, we've never received a single report of a guinea pig choking on celery! :)

Ive never destringed a celery in my life! I worked it out at one ppint that id done over 10,000 individual celery feedings with no choking..so either its a myth of I need to start doing the lotto more often :lol!: I usually give a 3-4 inch stick per pig once or twice a week. Its been a firm favorite with every pig ive ever had!

Mine lurrrve celery! I cut into slices like you would for a salad. Mostly because I hand feed celery and it lasts longer that way! It’s one of only a few foods that Rey will consistently take from hands

Mine lot love celery too. I thought it was a bit heavy on the old calcium though so I they don't get it every week. I am wrong?

Mine get it every day, about 1/2 stick between the three of them (I get the ‘full size’ heads so they can have the leaves too)

My two love celery but I only feed once or twice a week as one of the piggies, i think Coco gets bad white pee’s if I feed any more than that. So glad celery doesn’t really need peeling, I’ve been peeling the strings off on advice of a few forum members lol.

I cut it in small chunks and feed about twice a week as we also get white wees from it.

Grrrr for ages now I've been destringing the whole celery, then cutting it & stringing it again. Thinking is this the bit they will choke on. Lol

I’ve been destringing it for years, too. Today I didn’t. And all 6 piggies are alive and wheeking for their bedtime snack.

I go through one celery each day.... I cut it in chunks as I currently have got around 30 mouths to feed, but it is a firm favourite here!

I go through one celery each day.... I cut it in chunks as I currently have got around 30 mouths to feed, but it is a firm favourite here!

Wow, I didn’t realise you had 30 piggies in your house @Wiebke. I bet that it’s loud at celery time what with the wheeking and then the chomping.

Tonight on my return from Slimming World (I had a maintain WOOHOO! I was celebrating my birthday and my Pearl Wedding Anniversary last week - I'm more than happy with a maintain!) I reminded the OH that he had to put the Garden Waste Bin out (it's about the only job he does round here) and he went outside and was welcomed with a chorus of wheaks! The pigs had already had their evening veg but they were hoping for more! They are ever hopeful!

Back