• Issues with online booking at The Cat & Rabbit Clinic in Northampton. Read more here
  • You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

how to get a piggie to lose weight?

bonnieandpoppy

Junior Guinea Pig
hi everyone, my piggie bonnie is 1300g which is quite heavy for a female pig and i can’t seem to get her to lose weight? i have her on a very very low amount of pellets, no treats and 1hr+ floor time every day?

Guineautopia

Teenage Guinea Pig
Hi, I would worry so much about the actual weight as some piggies are just on the chunky side. What’s more important is the body condition.
Have a read of this guide which tells you how to see if your piggie is overweight
The Importance Of Weighing - Ideal Weight / Overweight / Underweight
If you still think she is overweight, then look at the type of pellets and what sugary veg you are feeding.

Mother Hubbard

Forum Donator 2017/18
Don't forget some breeds are more prone to be heavier. Frankly I would be more concerned with weight loss which you don't have that issue. I have two proper chunky sows but I'm just glad they have weight than the other way.

bonnieandpoppy

Junior Guinea Pig
thanks for your opinions everyone, bonnie is very active, always runnnung around, and has a very shiny coat so i don’t think i need to worry :nod::nod:

anyar.dris

Junior Guinea Pig
My piggy Bunny used to weigh 1.5kg when she was alive. She started losing weight (she was around 1.25 to 1.3kg) when she reached 3yrs old last year. She was a big fluffy teddy and was really active until she got sick January this year and we eventually put her to sleep last month. I wouldn't worry about your piggy's weight.