• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

How to get guinea pig to drink

tahdig

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello! Some of you may have read my last thread about my two new piggies Tahdig and Strudel. Basically, I adopted two year old Tahdig from some friends of mine after his two brothers died and they felt they couldn't care for him well anymore. About a week later, I got a new, month old pig named Strudel. I've kept them in different rooms so far and both seem to be doing well.

Except, Tahdig has been drinking a lot less. He eats plenty but it seems that the amount of water in his bottle barely decreases each day. I've seen him drink from it successfully, and Strudel has the same brand and type and is doing fine. I've asked my friends and they said he didn't have any problems drinking with them, from a similar water bottle. Anything I can do to fix this? I've been giving him extra-hydrating food like cucumbers and (sparingly) some blueberries, and he eats them up. His poops were light colored for a day or two but now they're back to their original dark color, which makes me think he is getting some hydration from the veggies. Should I be worried? Take him to the vet? Might it be related to having a new pig in the house?

My main question is if I should put a bowl in there. I did for a day but he didn't seem to drink out of it.

Thank you!

Some piggies naturally drink more than others. My Velvet drinks loads but the other 4 don't drink so much. Is Tahdig weeing OK? As you are giving him cucumber which has loads of water in it he may be getting all he water he needs from his veg.

Water consumption depends on many factors: the amount of juicy food and availability of grass, the availability and amount of dry food in the diet, the temperature in the apartment, age, activity, the presence of sugar food and treats in the diet (which you should learn that pigs are strictly prohibited: the only sugar that comes from food, must be from fruits and berries, as well as, to a lesser extent, from other foods - herbs, herbs, vegetables, leaves).

Below I write why pig doesn't drink water:
- grabs moisture from grass, greenery, vegetables;
- the drinking bowl is highly suspended (must hang at such a height so that the pig does not lift its head - at the level of the muzzle),
- the drinking bowl is faulty (water does not flow, the drinking bowl hangs sideways and the ball is ignited, clogged, etc.);
- guinea pig, in the former place, is accustomed to drink from a bowl, and not from a drinker;
- guinea pig in stress after purchase / relocation /, etc.

I studied a lot about this case, so don't panic. In nature, water is almost not required for pigs - they replenish the supply of fluids in the body due to the moisture of the feed (herbs, plants, leaves). More interesting information you'll find on my blog.

Nothing to worry about! My one pig Ginger drinks LOADS, sometimes he actually sleeps with his head in front of the water bottle lol. And then Buttercup drinks like once a day and his wee is perfectly normal...

Back