• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

How To Get Out Boar Glue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mamphers

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Poor Tulio has it on his tummy :( don't know if it's from Miguel or when he's been jumping the hump toy :doh::bronco:

Where exactly is the blob of glue on his tummy?
If it is a place that he can reach to groom and it is not bothering him, then I would leave it for him to remove in his own grooming time - lovely! If that doesn't happen or it appears to be bothering him then yes you can cut off the blob with scissors BUT you need to be confident in your handling of your piggie to do this. Scissors and wiggle piggies are not a good combo so you need to be calm, have sharp scissors so you don't hack at the hair and preferably some help holding.
But they or a cage mate will often clean it up if they can.

Humphrey usually coats Monty's backside then obligingly helps to remove it. I tried snipping it out once but the poor guy had such a bad hair cut as a result I leave the lovely deposits alone now!

@Jaycey @Wiebke @lauraboara @BertisKing have any of your piggies manager to pull their hair out when getting out boar glue? Got the boys out for a handle tonight and when putting Tulio away I found a wound on his tummy exactly where the main amount of the boarglue was :( :( my poor baby.

I've washed it in a salt water solution and dried it off before putting him back into his cage. Do I need to take him to the vets or just monitor it for now? I've attached a pic. Doesn't seem to be bothered by it and is eating and quite happy.

Worried pigmum! IMG-20170210-WA0006.jpg

@Jaycey @Wiebke @lauraboara @BertisKing have any of your piggies manager to pull their hair out when getting out boar glue? Got the boys out for a handle tonight and when putting Tulio away I found a wound on his tummy exactly where the main amount of the boarglue was :( :( my poor baby.

I've washed it in a salt water solution and dried it off before putting him back into his cage. Do I need to take him to the vets or just monitor it for now? I've attached a pic. Doesn't seem to be bothered by it and is eating and quite happy.

Worried pigmum! View attachment 59046

You have disinfected it, so I would just monitor it. Poor boy!

You have disinfected it, so I would just monitor it. Poor boy!
:( I know! Poor lad. Although I can imagine not wanting to have his buddies 'juice' on his tummy.

The obvious answer is that it's the glue, but is there any other likely reason? I.e. mange? Really hope not!

Great if the salt solution worked. If he doesen't seem bothered and is okay, i would say just monitor him, but i trust he will be okay!

I've found in the past that if you just leave the boar glue & it is somewhere he can reach, then he'll groom it away himself & it will be gone in 3 or 4 days x

Yep. One of my boys had it on his bottom lip and managed to pull out a chunk of hair when he removed it!

Like Wiebke mentioned, it's best just to clean it up and then monitor it. It should be okay x

Me too. On his back the hair was just bitten off but I think I remember George got some on his lip that left a small wound when it was removed.

Since you've disinfected it I would just keep an eye on it to make sure it's healing.

Poor lad!

Lily had a very similar wound from a clump of fur getting stuck together with George's boar glue (on her back - The indignity! Poor girl) I was also very worried, but I also disinfected it and it cleared up in just a few days. Made me realise that they must have quite thin and delicate skin under all that fur. Just a little pulling on the fur (from glue) appears to tear the skin a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back