• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

How To Get Over The Loss Of My Guinea Pig Without Feeling Guilty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bo123

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Two days ago my guinea pig bo was healthy and active and squeaking away but last night I went out to feed him and found him lying unable to move his neck and couldn't walk. I brought him inside wrapped him up warm but I couldn't give him water as I was afraid he could choke. He managed to pull through the night and I was going o bring him to the vet as soon as it opens today. But unfortunately he passed. I tried getting him to a vet last night but I currently can't drive as I'm to young and my mum works night shifts and my dad's away in London So we currently don't have a car I didn't get the chance to feed the night before as it was to dark and the light wasn't working in the garage I just can't stop thinking if I had off gone out would he have been ok ?

I feel like it's my fault as I could have saved him. How do I get over these feelings of regret and blame.

I know these feelings all too well! I felt the same guilt when I lost one of my girls last year. I know its hard not to but don't beat yourself up about it. I doubt it would have made much difference if you went in that night anyway as you still would not have been able to make it to a vet. Here's hoping he didn't suffer too long. At least you were with him in his final moments. It must be hard when you rely on your parents and don't have a car. I really feel your pain. I am so sorry for your loss. Just remember the good times with your piggy x

Thanks it's so hard to not beat yourself u over it this is defiantly the hardest thing about owning animals did you have to help your other piggy through it's bereavement

At least he's up in heaven with all the hay and treats he'll ever need. :inn:

Thanks it's so hard to not beat yourself you over it this is defiantly the hardest thing about owning animals did you have to help your other piggy through it's bereavement

At least he's up in heaven with all the hay and treats he'll ever need. :inn:
It certainly is the worst part of pet ownership :( My other piggy was doing ok on her own. I put a little teddy in with her but I don't think she liked it. She looked so lonely by herself and no longer squeaked when she came for her veggies. I had to get her a new friend in the end :)

I'm sorry for your loss. What you are feeling is normal, we all feel like that no matter how attentive we are to our piggies. It is just part of loosing them.

I'm really sorry for your loss. Unfortunately, small pets often get sick quickly and sometimes there isn't much you can do, even if you do see a vet. When one of mine passed a few months ago, she was fine one day, obviously ill the next morning, and passed away that night, in spite of seeing a vet (who couldn't give me a specific diagnosis anyhow.) Please try not to beat yourself up. ((HUGS)) to you.

Feeling a certain amount of guilt is completely natural, whether we're talking about a pet, a relative, etc. You always, always think, "what more could I have done?" I've talked at length with my boys' vet about illness in pigs; one point he made was that pigs are basically "prey" animals; in the wild, an animal that shows any signs of weakness will immediately be pounced on by predators; so nature lets them "hide" their illnesses and ailments, many times by the time the illness is obvious, the animal is in critical condition. Too, he said a lot of pigs might be descended from laboratory guinea pigs; maybe someone along the line took a lab pig baby home? And many lab pigs are, sad to say, bred to be susceptible to various diseases, ailments, etc. The best any of us can do for any of our pets is to give them the best care possible, interact with them on a regular basis so we CAN see what is normal behavior, and get them the best medical care possible. Then, when our little ones DO cross the Bridge, hopefully we can find comfort in knowing we gave them good lives.

HUGS

Feelings of guilt and inadequacy are a normal stage of the onset of the grieving process. All they say is that you are a very caring and responsible piggy mummy who has done her best under the circumstances. We all experience these feelings to some degree or other.

Guinea pigs can go downhill extremely quickly; a stroke or a heart attack can strike out of the blue at any age. I have lost some young piggies of mine to sudden acute heart failure a couple of times, and not even an emergency vet visit has prevented that; in fact one of my piggies passed away on the examination table. :(
I very much doubt that rushing your piggy to an out-of-hours vet straight away would have made any difference, so please don't beat yourself up about it!

Has Bo got a companion? Here is what you can do for him: https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/looking-after-a-bereaved-piggy.110463/

You are also welcome to post a tribute to Bo in our Rainbow Bridge section anytime that feels right for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back