• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

How to get through bonding without morning gin and tonic

Black piggies

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
I've set up a bonding pen for 9 month old Bertie and 5 year old Shadow. I have my heart in my mouth! Half an hour in.

To start with Bertie ran about and popcorned like he'd won the lottery. Then he acted the new young buck in town, mounting Shadow.
Shadow just squared up to him, raising her head, refusing to run away, bopping him.
He's running away mostly, then coming back to try again.

I can see tentative signs that Shadow might accept him, but she's a diva, I only ever saw her nuzzle her sister's ears a couple of times. If Shadow has decided that she will tolerate Bertie and allow him to worship her, how will he know? He's tried washing himself beside her and she's being her usual uninterested self.

Oh gosh isn’t it nerve wracking! I’ve had two bonding sessions. Ted Ginger and Posh which went absolutely fine. On the other hand Hector Posh and Ginger was utter carnage with Ginger been bitten by Posh
I think you will have to wait and see, boars always seem so excited but she will put him in his place!

Oh dear, and Ginger and Posh were your bonded pair weren't they!
I think Shadow has nuzzled Bertie, which is very unlike her. Hope he realises how unusually favoured he is, and stops trying his luck soon. He's mostly running away from her.

Oh dear, and Ginger and Posh were your bonded pair weren't they!
I think Shadow has nuzzled Bertie, which is very unlike her. Hope he realises how unusually favoured he is, and stops trying his luck soon. He's mostly running away from her.
yes they are absolutely fine together, just don’t add a mad young randy boar into the mix! They were absolutely fine with Ted, he never even attempted to hump either, just happy for some company
It sounds quite promising to me 🤞

I hope the signs continue to be positive. It would be brilliant if Shadow had a new buddy. Ahhh he might even “be the one” ❤️

Sounds very positive so far, if ladies say a definite NO its often very clear from the outset! Younger boars have a steep learning curve when meeting ladies for the first time but once they learn its not all humping they can be very devoted :)
Hope you have a love match!

Good luck! I remember bonding well, can't believe I put myself through all that three times! (All successful but I couldn't do that again, so nerve wracking!). I really really hope it works out, give yourself the G & T!

Thank you for the kind and helpful comments. Managed to delay gin o' clock till 3pm 😊

Shadow and Bertie are still getting along. Bertie has started to use a water bottle. I gave them 2 plates, but Shadow is letting him eat from her plate. They're lying quite close to each other. Shadow tolerates him squeaking and ninja popcorning, and Bertie tolerates Shadow telling him what to do.

Last question, when would I give them closed ended hideys? Shadow normally likes a burrow made of blankets and hideys. (I'm still a bit nervous about Shadow, with her last bonding resulting in her almost straight away, baring her teeth and doing a death lunge!).

Screenshot_20210731_111514.jpgIMG_20210731_110338.jpg

Back