• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

How to help my local rescue

RedLoredAmazon

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Thank you all for being such a great and supportive community! Our sweet piggies Oreo and Cocoa have been doing great since we adopted them from our local rescue in July. Late last night I saw on facebook (not on there but I can read their posts), that one of the rescues here in my state was contacted by animal control to help rescue a barn full of guinea pigs. There were so many piggies that they had to ask for three other rescues to help capture all of them. In all it was 206 guinea pigs rescued. All of the piggies were kept together loose in the barn so they are assuming all of the females are pregnant. My local rescue took in a total of 31 piggies including pregnant females.

I'm not sure how I can help out. My family has some major expenses coming up for medical and the fridge is on its way out. I did reach out to our rescue, but they aren't the fastest at responding. Any ideas on how I can help out? I do feel like I'm trying to keep my head above water, but I do feel that helping out will be a major boost to my moral.

It looks like you are based in the US?

Personally I always feel that whilst money and supplies are great, if you can't offer these directly there are still lots of other ways you can help out too.

You sent an e-mail and that is a great place to start. Hopefully they will get back to you when time permits and have some ideas.

Never underestimate the value of your own time - can you offer to foster, come in and clean cages, home check, answer e-mails, host a cake stall on an open day, run an online auction to raise funds, take part in a sponsored event, contact local suppliers about donating hay, fresh food, dried food, bedding, etc?

It is wonderful that you want to help, and I am sure others will have more suggestions too.

In normal circumstances some of the rescues with bigger centres might appreciate more practicle help if money isn't an option. This is a bit more difficult at present what with covid restrictions but what about organising an online fundraiser or something?

Thank you all for your responses! I felt like that was so many piggies they took in! I am in Indiana here in the US.

The rescue did just get back with me. At this time they are in need of hay and oxbow baby piggy food. They said that they will need more foster homes when they are old enough to separate and they will need help taking them to the vet too. I think I will try to get them hay or the oxbow food for now. This is definitely going to be a pricey rescue since this rescue spays and neuters all of their piggies.

It was too difficult to get things shipped to a PO Box and I didn't think the post office would appreciate a 50 lb box of hay. :)) I donated the money I would have spent on the box of hay.

Back