• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

How to Introduce Boars to Each Other?

jerico

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I recently purchased a new boar I named Pepper, he's seven weeks old. I have another boar that I purchased about a year ago called Pablo. I would like to know how I can introduce the two on neutral ground. Pablo has been in almost every room of our house when I let him out for floor time, so it's a little difficult to have the two meet. Is it okay if I put them in the bathtub and have them meet there?

Pablo is normally a very calm piggy, I introduced him to my cousin's rabbits when they were babies and he got along with them right away, but I don't know how he'll react with Pepper.

Any tips?

IMG_4507.JPG Pepper, 7 weeks
IMG_1300.JPG Pablo, 1 year old

P.S.

I should also mention that I set their cages next to each other and they immediately started chattering their teeth. Pablo didn't do that with the rabbits, he was more curious and smelled them, but with Pepper he's telling him to back off.

Beautiful boys! Hopefully they will get along! Make sure you have a large cage with two of everything. I have a 3 by 5 c and c cage with a loft. My boys do very well. Best of luck!

Gorgeous boys.
The forum bonding guides are excellent and I’m sure will really help you.
Hope the bonding goes well.
Looking forward to hearing of a happy ending

Thank you so much for the help! I have another question. It’s been a week since I’ve had Pepper and he’s increasingly gotten more and more aggressive. He’s not in the same cage as Pablo, but their cages are placed next to each other with some distance. Today Pepper bit me pretty hard and I began to bleed.

He bit Pablo’s lip too when I pushed the cages together so they could begin to feel a little more comfortable around each other. Pepper continues to warn Pablo to back off, Pablo on the other hand has stopped giving any noise of warnings and goes to sniff him out.

I don’t know if these two will be able to get along, especially since Pepper is still young. I’m giving them another week to get comfortable with each other, but I’m thinking of sending Pepper back if they can’t find equal ground.

What should I do if Pepper doesn’t tone down the aggression? Could he be stressed? How do I help him feel safer?

Here’s a video of my boys meeting. Thankfully there hasn’t been any biting, but I don’t know what the end result will be. They have both been chasing and humping, Pablo tries to eat and Pepper won’t let him.

Right now, Pepper has stopped telling Pablo to back off and they have both calmed down a lot.

As long as nobody is bullying with food and water and no blood is shed keep going. Hopefully they will work it out! Scary though huh? They can bite hard! I have been accidentally bitten when I am feeding them for laptime. 😣

As long as nobody is bullying with food and water and no blood is shed keep going. Hopefully they will work it out! Scary though huh? They can bite hard! I have been accidentally bitten when I am feeding them for laptime. 😣
Yeah, it definitely is scary. I think maybe I was nervous because Pablo has been by himself for a year now, so I thought he wouldn't like another pig to get in his space. However, he's been very welcoming. Obviously, he shows signs of a normal boar wanting to show his dominance, but he's also groomed Pepper's ear, which I read is a good sign for when introducing pigs to each other.

I'm leaving them in the play pen for tonight, so I hope they'll be fine when I wake up in the morning. Wish us luck! :D

Sounds very positive.
I’ve recently bonded 2 pairs of sows - I know how anxious I felt over that

Back