• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

How to introduce little boar Theo to 4 ladies?

PigglePuggle

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So the countdown is on to add Theo to the herd soon! He's very excited and so are the ladies.

But is it best to introduce him to each pair of ladies seperately, like to Piggle and Puggle first and then to Jezebel and Clover later the same day? I am fairly sure Puggle and Clover will fight over him and I dont want Theo to get hurt or scared, he's very small and very friendly and Clover is a giant assertive fatty (I am slightly wondering if she's part cuy, based on her size, personality and ridiculous ears).
I'm planning to add an extension to the cage by attaching a 3x2 C&C extra room to the cage in an L-shape so everyone can get away from each other if they like!
If anyone with experience of adding a submissive little boar to a herd of feisty ladies has any bonding tips I'd love to hear about it!

They have to work out the herd dynamics. So they all need to be in together. I would put all 4 ladies in the completely bare bonding pen (apart from hay), add Theo, wait for the hump fest to begin. I’d allow most of the day in the pen before moving to an enclosure.

I bonded my group of 5 in a 5 x 3 temporary pen with newspaper and hay. Various pellets and veg veg added and spread out on the floor at times. After 3 hours I added 5 double entry snooze cubes so no one could get trapped. By teatime they were in their own c and c enclosure. Ralph was much smaller than the ladies (he was about 750g and the ladies ranges from 950g to 1400g in weight)

Attachments

• 9A6D3663-F76A-4D0D-BEA4-1796D0E04FDA.jpeg
    9A6D3663-F76A-4D0D-BEA4-1796D0E04FDA.jpeg
    130.9 KB · Views: 16
Shouldnt I add some hideys in case Theo and little Puggle need to get away? Or is that just delaying the inevitable Clover-Puggle battle? I will attach 2 playpens together to make a 6ft x 4ft bonding space... I could make 6ft by 6ft but then I wouldnt be able to get round the sides with my oven gloves and big cardboard intervention device!

Good luck.
Sounds as if you’re going to have fun.
Looking forward to the bonding saga

I just hope everyone can be friends... Clover and Puggle have quite an uneasy truce (Clover is bigger but Puggle is faster and sneakier! They dont fight as such but Clover blocks Puggle in corners and tries to stop her getting to the food, then Puggle jumps on Clover from on top of the hidey houses when she's asleep) so they are the ones I'm worried about. Piggle and Jezebel are quite laid back and arent so obsessed with Theo, they like to talk to him but they dont seem that attracted to his rumblestrutting and lovely boar aroma!

Good luck! Prepare for much wee spraying, chasing and humping! It's such fun bonding! (NOT)

Last edited:
I'm also trying to decide whether to try bond them before we go on holiday, or wait until afterwards... all the piggies in 1 cage will be easier for my piggy sitter daughter, but it wont be if they fight and she has to separate them and call the vet to have somepigs ears stitched up!

We go away on Monday 20th... we either bond on friday 17th or saturday 18th or wait until the saturday after... but Theo will be so lonely in his single boar bachelor pad if we are away and he hasnt met the ladies! He will have lived next door to Piggle and Puggle for 10 weeks by then and he's really fed up of waiting, he doesnt understand why there are so many luscious ladies next door and there are bars in the way...

I think Theo is getting a bit sad, he sits on his hidey tube roof watching ladies frolic in the hay tray... I think he wants the walk-in hay tray as much as the ladies! The walk in hay tray is going to be a whole 2x3 C&C hay room, I'm planning an L- shaped 5x5x2 C&C (thats 18 square feet I think?) cage with a fleecy bedroom wing thats vet fleece and fleecy tunnels, a hay play wing thats all hay and hay cubes and carrot houses and grass tubes, with a kitchen space for food bowls in the middle :)

Attachments

• 20180810_115837.jpg
    20180810_115837.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 15
We've decided next friday will be bonding day if the new cage extension arrives. Poor little Theo can't wait any longer, he is desperate to be loved by lots of giant bossy ladies- but he still loves Puggle best I think and saves his best rumble struts and special boy smells for her :)

I have a picture on my fridge drawn by my 7 year old apprentice piggy whisperer of Puggle and Theo getting married :)
7 year old piggy whisperer doesnt like human girls but he wants to marry Piggle himself. Not sure where Jezebel and Clover fit in but they can probably be bridesmaids, if we go to a plus size piggy dress shop!

Great that Theo is going to be introduced to the girls finally, but I personally wouldn't take the risk until your back off holiday as he was neutered on 9th July? wouldn't that mean the full 6 weeks is not up until 20th August? I'm pretty sure its 6 weeks minimum isn't it... Also I love your new piggies they are incredibly cute!

Back