• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

How To Introduce Veggies

Maddie2267

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi guys! I wasn't sure where to post this, but I just got my piggies about 5 days ago & I'm worried about their eating habits. I got them from a shelter, so I didn't get much information on what foods they had been eating. I know piggies need 80% hay, some veggies, and maybe some pellets. I just feel like they're ONLY eating hay. They barely ever touch their pellet dish. I figured I should start them off on veggies slowly, so I've tried carrots and romaine lettuce so far. They didn't seem interested in the carrots at all. I don't think they ate any. They together (I have 2) ate one small piece of lettuce, but I gave them a couple. I've been scattering the veggies in the cage; I know some people hand-feed veggies, but my piggies are so new & are still skittish of me. I know veggies are important, so I'm just not sure what to do!

Piggies are super suspicious of new foods, they assume that we're trying to poison then 24/7 :))

They'll come around, for now I wouldn't worry too much as long as they're eating hay. Perhaps cover half their cage so they feel a bit more secure, or eat a piece of veg in front of them so they trust it more, that's worked for me.

You can always put some pro C in their water (as long as it doesn't stop them drinking, keep an eye on it) which will give them a bit of a boost while they're missing veggies.

They'll soon be bossing you around for veggies so enjoy the freedom :P :))

I find that no (no piggie in this house anyway lol) piggie can resist coriander, maybe try a little of that as it's quite fragrant and might entice them to eat it.

Mine won't touch coriander but parsley doesn't last long! You could try that. Have you tried cucumber? How about foraging for dandelion leaves? Hazel branches go down well with my lot (just the new tips from this year) or brambles?

I would advise putting the veg in there hidey or very close to their hideys, as you are in the settling phase they may feel very scared to eat in the open as they have strong prey reflexes

Here is a thread worth having a read of Recommendations For A Balanced General Guinea Pig Diet

Important is unlimited hay in piggies diet.

We feed ours this roughly
Morning:
Cucumber
Celery
1/6th of Red/Green/Yellow Bell Pepper (de-seeded)

Evening:
Cucumber
Two Little Gem Lettuce leaves or 10 sprigs Coriander. Twice a week we will swap in cabbage or parsley

We also add in to the above diet carrot, sweet potato, celery leaves and a few other things occasionally
Just keep trying lots of different foods.

What are your piggies names? Lovely to have you on the forum, it would be great to see some photos of you

Could you add your location to your profile as it helps us tailor any advice if ever needed to your geographical location

Welcome again
Lee

I would advise putting the veg in there hidey or very close to their hideys, as you are in the settling phase they may feel very scared to eat in the open as they have strong prey reflexes
Agree with this :) When my pair were new I didn't put food near their main bed because I wanted them to increase in confidence with the fresh food as a bribe. Instead I specifically put a child's stool hide near where I put their fresh food, so that they have somewhere nearby to hide if needed, without it being a fully enclosed place. Sometimes they would pick up food an retreat to the stool, other times they'd park their bum under the stool and stretch out to get the food.

I'm surprised the rescue wasn't able to supply any info as to what they'd been feeding them though. I would expect any responsible rescue to pass that info along to ease the transition, even if they were unable to say much about things before they came into the rescue's care.

When I brought mine home they to have never touched a vegetable. Waited a couple days to let her settle in. Then tried letruce carrots and bell pepper in bigger chunks. Both days didnt touch it. 3rd day I chopped it up. She ate it. And gobbles it up now. Ive had her about 2 months now and she weeks at me every morning for her veggies and today she even weeked for more.
Piggies are super suspicious of new foods, they assume that we're trying to poison then 24/7 :))

They'll come around, for now I wouldn't worry too much as long as they're eating hay. Perhaps cover half their cage so they feel a bit more secure, or eat a piece of veg in front of them so they trust it more, that's worked for me.

You can always put some pro C in their water (as long as it doesn't stop them drinking, keep an eye on it) which will give them a bit of a boost while they're missing veggies.

They'll soon be bossing you around for veggies so enjoy the freedom :P :))

Mine won't touch coriander but parsley doesn't last long! You could try that. Have you tried cucumber? How about foraging for dandelion leaves? Hazel branches go down well with my lot (just the new tips from this year) or brambles?
Thank you! I'm trying parsley tonight!

IMG_8141.JPG IMG_8142.JPG

Here is a thread worth having a read of Recommendations For A Balanced General Guinea Pig Diet

Important is unlimited hay in piggies diet.

We feed ours this roughly
Morning:
Cucumber
Celery
1/6th of Red/Green/Yellow Bell Pepper (de-seeded)

Evening:
Cucumber
Two Little Gem Lettuce leaves or 10 sprigs Coriander. Twice a week we will swap in cabbage or parsley

We also add in to the above diet carrot, sweet potato, celery leaves and a few other things occasionally
Just keep trying lots of different foods.

What are your piggies names? Lovely to have you on the forum, it would be great to see some photos of you

Could you add your location to your profile as it helps us tailor any advice if ever needed to your geographical location

Welcome again
Lee
Thank you for the schedule ! My piggies names are Peter and Henry! Peter is in the first picture, and Henry is the second. Also- I know this cage looks small (and it is.) the cage was supplied with the pigs, but I've got a much bigger one on the way!

Agree with this :) When my pair were new I didn't put food near their main bed because I wanted them to increase in confidence with the fresh food as a bribe. Instead I specifically put a child's stool hide near where I put their fresh food, so that they have somewhere nearby to hide if needed, without it being a fully enclosed place. Sometimes they would pick up food an retreat to the stool, other times they'd park their bum under the stool and stretch out to get the food.

I'm surprised the rescue wasn't able to supply any info as to what they'd been feeding them though. I would expect any responsible rescue to pass that info along to ease the transition, even if they were unable to say much about things before they came into the rescue's care.
The rescue I got them from isn't specifically for guinea pigs :( unfortunately, I don't have any guinea pig rescues within 5 hours of my area, and I would hate to bring a pig home with that far of a commute.

I'll try putting it near another hidey! Thank you!

When I brought mine home they to have never touched a vegetable. Waited a couple days to let her settle in. Then tried letruce carrots and bell pepper in bigger chunks. Both days didnt touch it. 3rd day I chopped it up. She ate it. And gobbles it up now. Ive had her about 2 months now and she weeks at me every morning for her veggies and today she even weeked for more.
I'll DEFINITELY be doing that! Do you still chop up the veggies, or does she eat in chunks now?

Back