• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

How to keep cats away

Chickenpies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi!

I have an outdoor hutch, and my nextdoor neighbour has 3 cats. They all love to come in our garden and sit on the hutch. It is very annoying, we let our cat in at night and they don’t so I can’t shoo them away. I’m worried about fleas, we treat our cat every month but I’m not sure about the neighbours. How do I keep them away for good?

hopefully that makes sense -Thank you!

Perhaps making the hutch inacccessible - you can get walk-in metal framed and wire mesh cages that perhaps you could put the hutch inside of and then you wouldn’t have the concerns about cats being anywhere near your piggies. Otherwise I’m not sure of anything else as any other method of keeping cats away would surely upset your own cat

Perhaps making the hutch inacccessible - you can get walk-in metal framed and wire mesh cages that perhaps you could put the hutch inside of and then you wouldn’t have the concerns about cats being anywhere near your piggies. Otherwise I’m not sure of anything else as any other method of keeping cats away would surely upset your own cat
That’s a great idea! Although, I don’t think there is enough room. I might have to put a water sprayer near the hutch and hopefully that will put them off haha.
The guinea pigs won't catch fleas from a cat! As long as your hutch is secure, the guinea pigs will be fine.

That’s a relief. Although I am worried if a cat catches them when they run past with their claws. One time I caught a cat starinng right into the bars!

Hi! I know this is out of the blue, but do you know a site, or anywhere I can get a walk-in frame cheap. I was hoping I can also let them free roam inside and cats won’t be able to get near them. Thank you (sorry for all these messages).

Unless you can close the door to the room and not let the cats in the I’m not sure how you can let them free roam. You could use grids to build a run with a lid...

We use a fireguard around the outdoor hutch as an extra precaution from neighborhood cats. You may be able to find one second hand.

I have a such a run for my rabbit - well, we made it crouch down height rather than fully standing height to make it a bit cheaper to make - and his hutch is in there so he comes and goes as he pleases from his hutch to his run during the day. It was something we made ourselves though out of thick wood and fine gauge mesh. It was cheaper to make ourselves than buy.

Unless you can close the door to the room and not let the cats in the I’m not sure how you can let them free roam. You could use grids to build a run with a lid...
Sorry, I am just really unsure on how to give my piggies a bigger living space without buying a new hutch. I’d love to bring my piggies inside.

I have a such a run for my rabbit - well, we made it crouch down height rather than fully standing height to make it a bit cheaper to make - and his hutch is in there so he comes and goes as he pleases from his hutch to his run during the day. It was something we made ourselves though out of thick wood and fine gauge mesh. It was cheaper to make ourselves than buy.
I’d love that for my piggies. But there are so much cats and my shed is plastic. I’m on the search for a smallish wooden shed but the second hand ones I’m finding are either unfixable or overpriced :(

Sorry, I am just really unsure on how to give my piggies a bigger living space without buying a new hutch. I’d love to bring my piggies inside.

Even with their hutch within a large walk in run to give them more playspace, it doesn’t change the fact the hutch is a little on the small side for two boars. The space they get shut into needs to be big enough. You couldn’t leave them with access to the run when you aren’t there, or during the night. A walk in run with a hutch inside is only going to stop cats getting past the run and to the hutch but they will still get to the run

Even with their hutch within a large walk in run to give them more playspace, it doesn’t change the fact the hutch is a little on the small side for two boars. The space they get shut into needs to be big enough. You couldn’t leave them with access to the run when you aren’t there, or during the night. A walk in run with a hutch inside is only going to stop cats getting past the run and to the hutch but they will still get to the run
I’m worried about rain also. Everything seems so overpriced 😅 I’ll have to try and extend things somehow. I really don’t know how. I feel awful, their hutch isn’t TINY but it still isn’t quite big enough for boys.

Are your parents willing to help you with the cost of a shed, or are you responsible money wise for everything to do with them? Where are you located again?

Are your parents willing to help you with the cost of a shed, or are you responsible money wise for everything to do with them? Where are you located again?
I’m not exactly sure. They helped buy this hutch and I don’t want to ask again if you what I mean. Also, I’m sorry, I’m not sure if I want to share that yet. Thank you :)

I’m not exactly sure. They helped buy this hutch and I don’t want to ask again if you what I mean. Also, I’m sorry, I’m not sure if I want to share that yet. Thank you :)
You won’t know till you ask. If you’re under 18 then it’s their obligation as the adults to make sure that their welfare needs are met.

Back