• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

How to keep it warm?

Chickenpies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My piggy is an outdoor piggy. I’m finding it difficult to find a way to keep him warm. I’m on the hunt for SnuggleSafe’s at the moment, (Pets At Home is way too overpriced!) If anyone has advice on how to keep him warm, I’d appreciate it!

Hay stuffed boxes, thermal and water proof hutch covers.
Amazon do snugglesafes. They are few pounds cheaper on there

Hay stuffed boxes, thermal and water proof hutch covers.
Amazon do snugglesafes. They are few pounds cheaper on there
I have a cat litter box that I fill with hay, and a room that is just wooden that’s filled with hay. I also use tarpaulin to cover the cage at night (is that the same?). I am looking at the amazon one, which is a whole £9 cheaper! Thank you!

In the wooden section of the hutch i still use hideys in there and fill them (as well as the whole compartment) with hay. It’s hard to keep the whole bedroom compartment of a hutch warm as it is so big - It’s easier to make a smaller area by putting a hidey in, a cardboard box even will insulate the area inside it particularly with a snugglesafe in there.
In winter the entire hutch will need to be filled with hay.

A tarpaulin won’t insulate, it’ll only protect from water.

My piggy is an outdoor piggy. I’m finding it difficult to find a way to keep him warm. I’m on the hunt for SnuggleSafe’s at the moment, (Pets At Home is way too overpriced!) If anyone has advice on how to keep him warm, I’d appreciate it!
When I bought my snugglesafes, pets at home had a guinea pig one on sale for £22! And ones for other animals like cats (I think) for about £14. THERE WAS NO DIFFERENCE! Only the illustration of the pet on the packaging. When I wanted subsequent snugglesafes, my local PaH only stocked the expensive ones and when I showed them the other version on their website on my phone and asked if they had any in stock, they said oh I've not come across them, they are the same thing though 🤷‍♀️. And I said no, they aren't, one is £22 and one is £14! 😠

When I bought my snugglesafes, pets at home had a guinea pig one on sale for £22! And ones for other animals like cats (I think) for about £14. THERE WAS NO DIFFERENCE! Only the illustration of the pet on the packaging. When I wanted subsequent snugglesafes, my local PaH only stocked the expensive ones and when I showed them the other version on their website on my phone and asked if they had any in stock, they said oh I've not come across them, they are the same thing though 🤷‍♀️. And I said no, they aren't, one is £22 and one is £14! 😠
Yes! I don’t trust Pet Shops, they overprice things and the cages they sell are ridiculous!

Vet uk,sell the snugglesafe pads for 13pounds.i love them,i use the wooden lounging logs large,place snugglesafe pad inside and stuff meadow hay on top !

Vet uk,sell the snugglesafe pads for 13pounds.i love them,i use the wooden lounging logs large,place snugglesafe pad inside and stuff meadow hay on top !
Thank you! Might buy it from there and do the same!

Talking about winter, I know you can’t use fleece. But can you use wood shavings? I bought loads in bulk, but straight after I loved having fleece as its easier to clean :doh:

Talking about winter, I know you can’t use fleece. But can you use wood shavings? I bought loads in bulk, but straight after I loved having fleece as its easier to clean :doh:

Wood shavings alone would not provide warmth. I stuff hutches full with hay, about a foot deep all over the hutch and in hideys in winter, along with two snugglesafes per piggy (I have four hideys between my two piggies in their hutches and they all have a snugglesafe under them) and multiple hutch covers.

Mine have wood shavings a few inches deep over all their hutch floors. Plenty of hay in their bedroom, hay in their two log tunnels, and in their carrot cottage, three fleecy pet beds with a snugglesafe under each at night if it's cool and in the daytime when it's winter and slot in perspex windows for their mesh doors to keep the rain and wind out. I have three pigs. They are in a double storey outdoor hutch. But it has 20mm thick loglap walls all around, not a piece of plywood to be seen!

Mine have wood shavings a few inches deep over all their hutch floors. Plenty of hay in their bedroom, hay in their two log tunnels, and in their carrot cottage, three fleecy pet beds with a snugglesafe under each at night if it's cool and in the daytime when it's winter and slot in perspex windows for their mesh doors to keep the rain and wind out. I have three pigs. They are in a double storey outdoor hutch. But it has 20mm thick loglap walls all around, not a piece of plywood to be seen!
That’s actually a great idea. Do you know where you get the pet beds from? The ones I see are giant and definitely won’t fit in the hutch. I’ll steal your window idea too! :D

How adorable! I’ll definitely look into it! Sorry for the questions, but how do you clean them?
I put them in a wash bag meant for horse tack and wash them in the washing machine. They have that stuffed edging the pigs rest their head on but the base of the beds isn't filled. They wash and dry really well. I have bought enough to be able to be using them and have some that are being washed/dried at the same time.

Back