• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

How to keep outdoor piggies cool at night?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claire W

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
How do you keep your's cool? Also, mine live in an outhouse with no window (There is however a large gap under the door). At the minute I am keeping the door a tiny bit open at night but does anyone have anymore suggestions on what to do? :-\

It should be cooler at floor level. Perhaps you can take a temp reading both at floor level and various levels above. Short of using an air cooling system I`m at a lose as to how to cool down your outhouse.

Use could try ice blocks as used by RV campers.

Bye the way, fans just circulate the hot air and wouldn't cool the room. Hope you work something out and let us know.

Anders.

Mesh up the door - then you can leave it open all night, without the unwanted visitors.

please do not use the blue ice blocks that you put in the freezer,instead save your empty plastic milk jugs fill 3/4 with water then put in the freezer,when frozen put in piggies cage,this will cool the air and piggies will learn to lick the condensation on the jugs,result-really cool piggies on really hot days!!:)

;DI live on the Isle Of Wight and i was in the pet shop and saw a piece of marble to put in the hutch,the piggies lie on it to keep cool. 88)

You can get cooling blocks for piggies, I think I saw them on Pets at Home website. But you can also use shiny tiles which stay cool and they just lie on them :) You can also buy single tiles from DIY shops and they are very cheap :)

fluff said:
please do not use the blue ice blocks that you put in the freezer

Why is that? Is something they contain harmful to pig or planet :-\

The stuff in the commercial blue ice blocks for freezing contains chemicals that are not mend for human (or animal) consumption. Most of them contain an agent that keeps the ice frozen for longer, which if it leaks or the piggies gnaw on the stuff it can make them sick.

So if you just use the plain water, if it leaks it doesn't matter - just your piggies will have a wet bum! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back