• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

How to make a small but relatively comfy cage?

Cina

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So it's hurricane season and I want to be better prepared this year in terms of setting up a place for my guinea pig just in case if we have to evacuate again. What materials can I buy that would make a temporary cage that is small but is relatively comfy?

So it's hurricane season and I want to be better prepared this year in terms of setting up a place for my guinea pig just in case if we have to evacuate again. What materials can I buy that would make a temporary cage that is small but is relatively comfy?
Maybe a food crate ? Like the old farm ones. Make an attachment for a water bottle and maybe make a hay rack for the side. Do you mean a place really temporary? Easy to carry, but equipped with everything your pig needs. You could even get a pallet and create something

Maybe a food crate ? Like the old farm ones. Make an attachment for a water bottle and maybe make a hay rack for the side. Do you mean a place really temporary? Easy to carry, but equipped with everything your pig needs. You could even get a pallet and create something

Something portable though. We are most likely going to smuggle him into a hotel.

I would suggest same, folding playpen. Easy to carry and hide. Have your items ready to go, hay, food, water bottle and light weight house and fleece.

For houses in my pen, I use cardboard boxes. I cut off the lidflaps and use the over-under method of securing the base, which becomes the roof, and then cut out doorways. That way you can pop a flat-pack box in the pen bag and erect it with no tape. Sneaky and quick!

Where are you located?
I’m guessing not in the UK
Hope you and piggies survive the hurricane season.
I think it could be quite scary.
Welcome to the forum

I actually like this. Only problem I see with this is that the floor is going to get wet and stinky pretty quickly.
You would still need some kind of layer in the base of it like you have in your cage or hutch at present, naturally. (The same would go for any other temporary cage) For ease of use, fleece liners with an absorbent layer would be best I guess, as all the other things such as wood shavings and various absorbent granules etc would be messy and likely to find their way out the cage, and take up more space.

Any idea how long you might have to be away from home for at any one time? Where would you have to be evacuated to, ie what sort of accommodation?

Back