How to make cage liner for 8 ft x 3ft cage?

PennyLane

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
If I wanted to make a cage liner for a 8x3 foot cage do they make a mattress cover for a cage that size?

Or would quilt batting work if I put it between 2 layers of fleece?

PigglePuggle

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Lucky piggies getting a cage that size! Personally I wouldnt have 1 big liner in a space that size, I would have two 3ft by 4ft liners that will be easier to shake off and brush down and wash. My biggest liner is 6ft by 2.5ft and both me and the washing machine struggle with it a lot! So I like to use 2 smaller ones to cover my big area.
Hope that helps!

PennyLane

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Lucky piggies getting a cage that size! Personally I wouldnt have 1 big liner in a space that size, I would have two 3ft by 4ft liners that will be easier to shake off and brush down and wash. My biggest liner is 6ft by 2.5ft and both me and the washing machine struggle with it a lot! So I like to use 2 smaller ones to cover my big area.
Hope that helps!
Ok thanks would quilt batting work for an inner layer for the liner or should I just get the mattress covers? And yeah if my female who’s on pregnancy watch right now ends up not being pregnant and once my boy is neutered I’ll probably be getting 3 more females from a coworker who Is allergic but isn’t gonna just drop them off at a shelter so I’ll have 4 girls and a neutered male together in the cage
I’m really hoping she’s not pregnant but I doubt it if the male is male like everyone thinks Cause the person I got them from is still saying both are girls and had them in a 4.5 sq ft cage together other than the missexing and cage size they had everything right lol

PennyLane

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I may end up doing a 4x6 or 4x8 foot cage instead cause I decided that I’m gonna build a table and do a c&c cage

Siikibam

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
You’d need something absorbent inside so the thing wicks through the fleece and is held underneath. You can always see the measurements for a king size mattress protector and see if it’s big enough. Or you buy two and see them together. Some people use towels inside.

PennyLane

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
You’d need something absorbent inside so the thing wicks through the fleece and is held underneath. You can always see the measurements for a king size mattress protector and see if it’s big enough. Or you buy two and see them together. Some people use towels inside.
Ok thanks

artcasper

*Rescue Buddy*
Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Hi.. I make my own cage liners and I find the incontinence bed sheets works well - they can be washed at 90, are very absorbent and last really well - some of mine are 4 yrs old now... I would agree with about making smaller ones as one that large will be tough to wash!

Bill & Ted

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Polyester Quilt batting makes excellent wadding between the fleece outer layer. It washes well and dries really quickly. I’ve made liners out of this, can’t beat it and it’s absorbent too. make sure you secure with stitching against the outer layer so it doesn’t move around when washing. I would not make one large size as it’s difficult to handle when brushing off hay.

PennyLane

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi.. I make my own cage liners and I find the incontinence bed sheets works well - they can be washed at 90, are very absorbent and last really well - some of mine are 4 yrs old now... I would agree with about making smaller ones as one that large will be tough to wash!
I’ve actually started looking at those before I saw this lol and yeah I’m gonna split it into atleast 3 if not 4
Polyester Quilt batting makes excellent wadding between the fleece outer layer. It washes well and dries really quickly. I’ve made liners out of this, can’t beat it and it’s absorbent too. make sure you secure with stitching against the outer layer so it doesn’t move around when washing. I would not make one large size as it’s difficult to handle when brushing off hay.
Maybe I’ll get some of that and try to make some would the cotton batting work as well as the polyester?

Bill & Ted

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
i’ve Not tried that, I’ve used the polyester that is bonded to fabric. That was great but recently looked to buy more and could not find only anywhere. it might not dry as quick but should be fine x

artcasper

*Rescue Buddy*
Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
i’ve Not tried that, I’ve used the polyester that is bonded to fabric. That was great but recently looked to buy more and could not find only anywhere. it might not dry as quick but should be fine x
I believe Hobbycraft sell the Polyester Quilt batting/wadding.. I buy the wadding off the roll there for the little fleece crash pads I have been making. Not sure if the batting is the same?

Shelley anne

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
the first cage liners I made were 2 x 2 C & C panel sized and I found these too big so now I make them 1 x 2 C & C panels. they dry quicker on the line, they fit on my small drying rack and easier to mange. I also have a large indoor cage. 11 x 2 C & C panels all up

PennyLane

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Of I used the i hall blankets would I need to sew them to the fleece or just cut to size and lay the fleece over top?

Siikibam

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I would do some stitches down the middle and at intervals widthways as well whatever you’re using.

Siikibam

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Yes. On lengthways and widthways in the across the middle so it’s a cross.