• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

How To Make Your Own Vetbed :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sylintheuk

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hiya!

New on this forum (posted a thread in the new owners section yesterday for the ones interested) and thought I'd share this with you.

I am a seamstress who makes cloth sanitary pads, so I work with lots of different fabrics, including zorb which is especially designed to absorb lot's of fluid. It is mainly used in nappies and in the medical world, and obviously in cloth sanitary pads as the absorbent layer.

After having done a lot of research I decided that vetbed would be great as bedding, so I researched it. It has a layer of zorb in it, although not quite the same as I use for my pads, it's the same thing. So what I did - bought some cheap (but cute) fleece (washed it numerous times to increase the absorbency, no fabric softener), used one massive layer of zorb which is sewed to the fleece, and backed it with some scrap fabric which I had laying around. Turn, top stitch, stitch across (this is needed as zorb on its own would fall apart without it being sandwiched' and done! Can be washed up to 60 degrees and tumble dried :)

If anyone wants to know more (or has suggestions!) please let me know :)

That's great :) Vetbed is very expensive if you need a lot of it and also is heavy to wash in your machine. Zorb is a great fabric isn't it, but quite new on the market. This method with fleece is easier to handle and wash than heavy vet bed, and you don't need to spend ages with tweezers taking hay out of the pile :D

I was thinking of doing this, but using suedecloth instead of fleece. But I can't find anywhere that sells suedecloth in Britain

Hi @sylintheuk

Your design sounds really good, could you post some pictures of the construction.. Like the idea of making some lap pads using this idea.. :nod: :cool:

Both suede cloth and Zorb can be bought at plushaddict.co.uk. Not cheap though, but very effective :) I'll attach a photo later

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back