How To Move Forward After A Bad Fight

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheeseandpeas

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My original two boars Cheese and Peas are brothers and always got along ok, some mounting and chasing, one fight, but mostly fairly harmonious. We rescued Broccoliese quite recently and got him back to health after he had a poor start in life. I slowly introduced him to my two pigs which we knew was risky, and they appeared to get on really well, there was a lot of excitement and mounting by Cheese, and Broccoliese would buck him off. But overall they settled down nicely, so it's been about a month since they moved in together, I found yesterday that cheese has a nasty puncture wound in his cheek and peas has a small scab in his cheek, I've given cheese some baytril and cleaned it with boiled cooled water. He's seeing the vet later. My worry now, having separated them out is who to remove from the group, from Broccoliese temperament I find it hard to believe that he did the biting, but his presence caused competition between the other two. How to move forward? Any help greatly appreciated.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
My original two boars Cheese and Peas are brothers and always got along ok, some mounting and chasing, one fight, but mostly fairly harmonious. We rescued Broccoliese quite recently and got him back to health after he had a poor start in life. I slowly introduced him to my two pigs which we knew was risky, and they appeared to get on really well, there was a lot of excitement and mounting by Cheese, and Broccoliese would buck him off. But overall they settled down nicely, so it's been about a month since they moved in together, I found yesterday that cheese has a nasty puncture wound in his cheek and peas has a small scab in his cheek, I've given cheese some baytril and cleaned it with boiled cooled water. He's seeing the vet later. My worry now, having separated them out is who to remove from the group, from Broccoliese temperament I find it hard to believe that he did the biting, but his presence caused competition between the other two. How to move forward? Any help greatly appreciated.
You may find this thread here helpful: https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/boars-bullying-fighting-fall-outs-and-what-next.127295/
Trios are unfortunately particularly prone to problems, and a third boy can unbalance a well bonded pair. If you are not sure which two boys will work best together, try them in various combinations on neutral ground that you can wipe down in between. In your case, a bathtub with a (changed) towel for grip should be most suitable. Have an oven glove at the ready!
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/introducing-and-re-introducing-guinea-pigs.38562/

Good that you are seeing a vet to make sure.

Bluebell

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Threesomes are tricky - I struggled for a long time with a three - then conceded defeat and got another one and went back to pairs!

cheeseandpeas

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
The vet today has suggested castration for all 3, at a bill of £180, not sure how I feel about that!
I've put cheese and peas back together for now and they seem to have settled down, Broccoliese is a bit sad on his own though :(

cheeseandpeas

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I know it's a lot, and there's risks, plus reading on here that castration doesn't solve their personality conflicts makes me think just removing the newest addition might be best. Broccoliese is lovely natured and I doubt he was the biter but the others were fighting over him. He lived alone all his life, as a lap guinea pig, I'm wondering if he could be happy on his own If he got lots of cuddles, or maybe I could get him neutered and get him a girl friend?

Julesie

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Unless you plan to get all 3 a girl I don't reccomend neutering them.

You could get a girl for Broccoliese and leave the two previously bonded boars together or just get a fourth male for Broccoliese =)

Flutterby

Anniversary Herd
Reaction score
Sorry they have ended up fighting. I agree, trio's are difficult in males. Neutering won't calm them, it simply stops their ability to breed. Best to neuter to find them a girlfriend or try boar dating.

cheeseandpeas

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I felt very overwhelmed when the vet suggested castration, she would have got them booked in there and then, not only is it a lot of money but it puts their little lives at risk. These little piggies are dependant on us to find out the correct information and to do our best for them. If I didn't know about this forum I would have followed the vets advice, after all they are supposed to be the experts, and I bet most people do follow the advice. I just stalled saying I'd wait until cheese is fully better. I knew I wouldn't just do what the vet recommends without checking here with you, and I had a feeling it wasn't right. I think Broccoliese will do alright living nearby the others until I can pair him up with a new companion. A cuddle on a blanket of an evening will keep him happy in the meantime. Thank you guinea pig forum x

cheeseandpeas

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So things have changed a bit here! I found a little scrape on cheeses nose, and clumps of his fur around the run, which tells me that peas is hassling him, I think we found the bully! Even after removing Broccoliese he's bothering cheese. So I couldn't let cheese keep getting hassled and hurt and have paired him with Broccoliese now, both quite placid easy going piggies they've got on well, Cheese has reduced vision so likes having someone to follow, he is VERY interested in broccolieses bottom though! Peas is upset to be removed but he can see the others. I'm surprised he got nippy as he was always the quiet one! I think the introduction of Broccoliese has stirred his hormones, turning him into a bit of a bully towards cheese. We are going away for two weeks and I'm glad we worked out who was doing the biting before we have to leave them with my mum. And cheeses cheek wound is all better now.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
So things have changed a bit here! I found a little scrape on cheeses nose, and clumps of his fur around the run, which tells me that peas is hassling him, I think we found the bully! Even after removing Broccoliese he's bothering cheese. So I couldn't let cheese keep getting hassled and hurt and have paired him with Broccoliese now, both quite placid easy going piggies they've got on well, Cheese has reduced vision so likes having someone to follow, he is VERY interested in broccolieses bottom though! Peas is upset to be removed but he can see the others. I'm surprised he got nippy as he was always the quiet one! I think the introduction of Broccoliese has stirred his hormones, turning him into a bit of a bully towards cheese. We are going away for two weeks and I'm glad we worked out who was doing the biting before we have to leave them with my mum. And cheeses cheek wound is all better now.
You will need to figure out what to best do with Peas in the long term, but it is good that you have been able to work out who is best with who now before you go on holiday!

The two more satisfying options for the long term are to either date him with another boar under expert supervision at a rescue that offers this service (in order to minimise the risk of ending up with yet another fight), or, if Peas is that aggressive, to find a good neutering vet and try to pair him up with a girl or two after a 6 weeks post op wait. You will have to keep any sows out of line of sight and ideally reach of pheromones from any boars only pair that is not growing up with sows next by.
£60 for a neutering operation is actually a very decent price, but what you are looking for is a either general vet with lots of experience in guinea pig neutering (this is often a vet who neuters regularly for a rescue) or an exotics vet with lots of practice in operating on small furries.

Status
Not open for further replies.