• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

How To Prevent Cysts?

Rochester Piggy

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I was wondering, is there any way besides spaying to prevent ovarian cysts? I might get my 3 year old sow Cali spayed, but I would be completely terrified she wouldn't wake up. I read about HCG injections that can be given to get rid of them, but can these be given to prevent them?

I wouldn't do anything to prevent them as there is no guarantee she will get cysts. Out of 9 girls we have only had 1 with confirmed cysts and that was treated with hormone injections.

I wouldn't put Cali through spaying on the off chance she may get cysts

Only 1 out of my 12 sows had ovarian cysts. It's really not worth worrying about now and can be treated if it happens.

I've never heard of hormone injections preventing cysts. I would think that the risks of tampering with hormones would not outweigh the benefits in the absence of an already-developed cyst. I would also probably be reluctant to consider major surgery as a preventative measure for a problem that may never develop (for what it's worth, I have had six female guinea pigs over the years, so far no ovarian cyst issues with any of them.)

I've never heard of hormone injections preventing cysts. I would think that the risks of tampering with hormones would not outweigh the benefits in the absence of an already-developed cyst. I would also probably be reluctant to consider major surgery as a preventative measure for a problem that may never develop (for what it's worth, I have had six female guinea pigs over the years, so far no ovarian cyst issues with any of them.)
Cali had a checkup yesterday (she had lost a few ounces and we wanted to make sure it was nothing, there was nothing) and he said she very obviously didn't have cysts or any signs of them.

I actually know someone that has every one of her female pigs spayed to prevent cysts. She was a very experienced guinea pig vet, who is also an experienced zoo vet. He's probably one of the best vets in the UK.

It's not something she recommenda though, as it is a very tough surgery for a pig.

Having now had 4 piggies spayed (2 laparoscopically and 2 full spay) I wouldn't have it done unless on medical grounds. There are multiple risks with any procedure so why put her through it unless it is medically indicated.

the chances of developing cysts aren't that large so why would you be worrying about this? I've had 7 females, two have had cysts, ones cyst burst on examination so no treatment needed and the other needed an emergency spay - she was 4.5 years old and managed the surgery amazing well. The only time I would even consider an operation for a piggy for non medical grounds would be neutering a male - there are still risks but a lot less than with spays. Even then there is no guarantee so I try to find already neutered males to adopt.

I actually know someone that has every one of her female pigs spayed to prevent cysts. She was a very experienced guinea pig vet, who is also an experienced zoo vet. He's probably one of the best vets in the UK.

It's not something she recommenda though, as it is a very tough surgery for a pig.
So sorry this is such an old thread however could I ask who this vet is please for future reference. X

@crazyaboutcavys Her vets were Rowena Killick and Richard Saunders who are both vets at Bristol zoo. They're linked to a practice in Bristol too, I think it's Highcroft but I could be wrong.

I was wondering, is there any way besides spaying to prevent ovarian cysts? I might get my 3 year old sow Cali spayed, but I would be completely terrified she wouldn't wake up. I read about HCG injections that can be given to get rid of them, but can these be given to prevent them?

Apart from a spaying operation, there is nothing you can do to prevent ovarian cysts.

Please be aware that these cysts are pretty common in older sows, the more the older they get but that in the majority of cases. But crucially most do not cause any symptoms or any problems. A few can get very nasty (cancerous) and can kill. There is not just one single variety of ovarian cyst; there are several, which is why hormone treatment is not always successful.

At this moment of time, spaying is still a major and rather more expensive operation with a significant rate of mortality (chosing a good vet is absolutely crucial to your success rates), which is why we do not yet recommend routine spaying even though the majority of sows survive a spay. Any voluntary spay is very much up to you weighing up the factors to make a decision for yourself.

Putting a piggy through an elective procedure is always much harder than doing the same as a life-saving emergency, but in either case you are faced with some major guilt issues if things go wrong as I know from my own experiences. My first spayed sow nearly 10 years ago did not wake up from the op due to a vet's mistake but things were rather different then and it was an emergency operation at a not very piggy savvy general local vet.
I want to add that since then I had two more sows successfully spayed and am about to have this done with a fourth, who has a hard cyst that can turn cancerous at some point. I have every expectation that she will get through her op and recover well as I now have access to a vet I trust fully.

Here is some more information: Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)

Thank you, thats reassuring as I have contacted them this morning, do you know how much they charge for a spay by any chance? Thanks x

If you are seeing Kris and she recommends surgery she will give you a price for the spay. I can’t remember the price. But you would be in safe hands there (they are my vets).

Back