• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

How to prevent haypoke?

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
You can’t completely prevent it. Piggies need access to a lot of hay at all times, so the fact hay needs to be there means there is always going to be a risk.
you can minimise if by having Timothy hay (as it’s stalkier) in a hay rack, but again, it won’t stop the risk entirely.

mine are bedded on meadow hay so I just throw piles of hay in the cage for them to snuggle into - Piggies love nothing more than diving into a pile of hay and playing and I find mine eat so much more hay now Ive stopped using hay racks. I put their Timothy hay just into a pile in the corner. They sit next to the pile and eat it not dive into the Timothy.

Sweet Potato

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
after a sudden stint of near constant hay pokes I moved from using hay racks to one big hay tray and we've now gone a month hay poke free. my boys had been fine using hay racks for nearly 2 years but once they started Gundham in particular had a lot over a short space of time. I think it's because all the small pokey bits just sink to the bottom of the tray now rather than falling in their eyes.