• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

How to prevent ringworm spreading to pigs

gerbilord

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi,
I have recently noticed a rash on my leg that looks like its ringworm. (I'm not sure if it is yet) I'm worried that it could spread to my guinea pigs and potentially make them ill. I know the guinea pigs haven't spread the infection to me because I have done a full check on them and they look perfectly healthy and active.
How can I prevent any possible ringworm from spreading to the guinea pigs?

Thanks in advance :)

amy104

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi,
I have recently noticed a rash on my leg that looks like its ringworm. (I'm not sure if it is yet) I'm worried that it could spread to my guinea pigs and potentially make them ill. I know the guinea pigs haven't spread the infection to me because I have done a full check on them and they look perfectly healthy and active.

Wash your hands before handling them and keep the rash covered.

PigglePuggle

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Yes definitely wash your hands or have some hand sanitiser to use before touching any of the piggies things, we bought F10 veterinary grade hand sanitiser to use before and after piggy handling when one of our piggies had ringworm! And it wouldnt hurt to buy some F10 disinfectant spray to clean the piggy cage and your own bathroom, and hot wash all your towels and trousers to get rid of any spores...

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

Hi!

Please read the tips in our ringworm hygiene guide. They work both ways: Ringworm: Hygiene And Pictures