• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

How to stop worrying/your experiences

Sabrina-piggy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello everyone so recently for the last two months I’ve been non stop worrying, I’ve never been diagnosed with anxiety but I’ve been told that my worrying is extreme and excessive. I mostly worry about worst case scenarios or things I cannot control like what will happen in the next year. I’ve never experienced the loss of a guinea pig however I have lost my sweet hammy mini, I have three guinea pigs and they are all in good health except for my girl penny who seems to be having some chewing problems she already has an appt. for Monday. I hate waiting so long but that was the only available one. I lie in my bed all day worrying about things I cannot control it sucks and not being like this is easier said than done. I don’t eat or drink or even do anything besides worry, I’m physically and emotionally drained, all I want is for my piggies to be happy and healthy but every time I leave even for a few hours I freak out and am afraid to walk in my room in fear something might have happened. I don’t know how to cope with this, I enjoy the company and the joy they give me but I’m worrying everyday and I myself realize that it isn’t healthy, since penny the one who’s going to the vets is having some food issues I’m afraid to leave my room and even the house I couldn’t even enjoy a family dinner and movie without freaking out, I know they won’t live forever I just hate the thought of losing them😭💔

Does this affect every area of your life or just with your pets? I would speak to your GP about it personally because it's not healthy for you to constantly be in a state of anxiety

I know how it feels to be worrying non stop about a pet because my cat is missing at the moment. I have lost 3 guineas so far and I have two left luckily these two are healthy. I recommend you talk to someone with pets or talk to someone who has or had anxiety as they might know how you feel at the moment. I hope you and your guinea pig feel better soon.❤️❤️❤️

I'm so sorry you are having this problem with anxiety :( it sounds as if it's really controlling your life. Guinea pigs are supposed to help with anxiety not make it worse! Is it just with the piggies you feel this way or are there other things?

I agree this is definitely something you need to speak to your doctor about. They will be able to help you, it's not normal to feel so anxious about your piggies as you described, constantly worried like that. Yes of course we all think of our pigs when we're not at home and worry when they are ill but it shouldn't control your life like that.

I feel you'd really benefit from talking to someone. I only know so much because I used to suffer from this too but I went to see a lady who I talked to every week and it helped so much I am not anxious any more.

Don't be afraid to talk to a doctor and it would be a good idea to speak to your family about this they will want to help.

Good luck :) x

Sorry you are going through this. I was diagnosed with severe anxiety about 10 years ago. When it was at its worst it sounds similar to what you are feeling. I would definitely go and see your doctor.
I still suffer when my piggies are ill or my cat, but 99% of the time I,m fine.
I too had counselling, it really does help. Please don't be afraid to tell your family or a close friend.
Sending hugs.x

It’s not only with the pigs, I’m home alone a lot and feel sad and lonely. I talk to my mom about my worries and my loneliness but sometimes she gets frustrated because we have the talks almost every day. I mainly worry because I’m afraid of losing them, it’s sounds stupid but I make up a story in my head about what’s going to happen and I latch onto that, since I’m so sensitive I couldn’t see myself ever being strong enough to get through the loss of a piggy. In my head I know one day it might happen but for me I feel like it might happen everyday. I don’t want to be this way any more and I’m trying really hard to convince myself that no matter what happens I’ll be okay but it seems like I’m not believing myself. I love them so much and if think they might me ill it breaks my heart because I would never want them to be in any pain or a position where I couldn’t help them. It’s not only guinea pigs I have a fear of death over, it used to be my mom when I was younger now it’s my pets😔

What stood out to me is where you say youre not eating, drinking or sleeping properly. What really helped me with my anxiety was to start eating better. The way my therapist explained it to me when I was at my lowest point is that anxiety takes a lot of energy and your brain also needs a lot of energy to function correctly. Without the proper nutrition, you will get stuck in thought cycles that are really hard to break. I didnt believe her whatsoever at the time, I thought I would just have to deal with spiralling thoughts of worst case scenarios..but sure enough, changing my diet and forcing myself to eat regular meals really helped. I am now able to counter negative thoughts by telling myself that they are not reality and it's been quite a long time now since I've really spiralled out of control.

I do think it would be very beneficial for you to talk to someone about It, the worst and hardest bit is the first step, after that it becomes a bit easier. And we're all here to help along the way :)

@Eriathwen thank you and I understand it’s important to eat but I feel like if leave their side they may cough or sneeze or something and I won’t know because I wasn’t there. Especially now that somethings up with one of my girls I feel like if
I leave something bad will happen. I know first steps are always hard but I feel like I’ve been trying to take the first steps for two months now☹️

You're doing great already in that you've recognised you're struggling and reached out for help :) it took me about 20 years to ask for help, I can appreciate how difficult it Is, you're doig really great! For now, take some snacks with you when you watch the piggies (you could even take something you could share with them like Apple slices or carrot sticks!)
It's all baby steps. If you feel it will help there's also apps that you can link to a webcam so you can always check in on them if you're out. Being able to check on them should hopefully alleviate some of the anxiety that something may have happened while you're not there because in the back of your mind you'll know that you can open the app at any time.

@Eriathwen I’m really just afraid to come to terms with the fact that not everything lives forever and I have to be brave and strong through it, but I’m not. Since penny has some things going on I’m scared for what the vet might say, is it treatable, is it not. I want to live my life but I love my girls with my whole heart. I make up these terrifying images in my head of the day they pass and it scars me. This is a problem, I’m so scared to say goodbye or even think about that stuff, it haunts me and one time I even fell to the floor begging god to take this pain away. I don’t want to think about that happening but I know when it does I must be strong which I’m not very good at yet.

Back