How To Supplement Calcium For Young Guineas

Status
Not open for further replies.

GUINEAm&n

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have two guinea pigs. One is 12 weeks old and the other is 13 weeks old. I have read the thread about recommendations for a guinea pig diet and they are currently receiving: unlimited ings hay in a hay room and in a hay rack, a cup of fresh veggies in the morning and another in the evening, and 35 g Harringtons pellets twice a day. What I am wondering about is how to supplement the calcium in their diet? Harringtons pellets do not appear to be alfalfa based, so should I be feeding calcium high veg or getting some alfalfa hay to feed in their hay rack? I am a bit confused by the info available about calcium high veggies and whether that applies only to adult guineas or all guinea. Thanks in advance for any advice!

To be honest, your two boys are perfectly fine on their current diet and don't need any extra! My foster babies have been on an adult diet (on Haringtons' pellets, too) as soon as they joined my family group and have thrived nevertheless. At 11 months old they are all a perfect weight at 1000-1200g. ;)

The extra amount of calcium needed is actually very small. You can add a broccoli floret or chunk of stem to their diet 2-3 times a week or give a handful of spinach or kale once a week instead of once a month until their growth rate is slowing down.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...or-a-balanced-general-guinea-pig-diet.116460/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back