• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

How to Tell Age?

Status
Not open for further replies.

R Dorothy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm actually Scuzzy's fourth home so his age wasn't exactly known even from the people I got him from, plus they cared so little about him they didn't really remember how long they had him. I was wondering if there's any clues at all to be able to make a rough estimate of how old a guinea pig is.

I'd just kind of like a guess at how much longer I have with this little guy because it's going to break my heart when he passes on. Speaking of that, are there any signs to watch out for that a guinea pig is getting ready to pass on from old age?

Thanks.

Once they pass 18 months it is a bit of guess work.

Weight can be used up to a few months old, nails need their first trim at around 5 months old, a pig stops growing/gaining weight by 15 months, by 18 months they look adult (coat loses it's young look), saggy chin begins once mature approx 2 yrs, ears often get more leathery from 2 years, toes/nails more thickened in 2 yrs +. The eye loses the clean white edge around 3 yrs. Impaction is more common 4 yrs +.

You have to balance all these factors to give a guesstimate.

HTH

Suzy x

saggy chin begins once mature approx 2 yrs
Interesting do you have nay picture of a saggy chin as Harry's age is unkown. His weight is hard to judge because he was illl for so long and started piling it on when the wives arroved ha ha!

I think Scuzzy can't be any younger than 4 years. I'm guessing maybe about 5, which makes me a bit sad. I'll do my very best to keep him happy and healthy, but I'm worried the life he had before may have shortened the time he has left.

I think Scuzzy can't be any younger than 4 years. I'm guessing maybe about 5, which makes me a bit sad. I'll do my very best to keep him happy and healthy, but I'm worried the life he had before may have shortened the time he has left.

My guinea pig had a horrible life before I got her, she's 10 years old and I've had her for 7. She was traumatized when I brought her home and would hide, only coming out to drink her water when no one was around. Despite her past, I kept her healthy and gave her lots of love (My family did too) and she's lived a long time. I'm sure you'll do everything to make up for his past :laluot_29:

It doesn't count how long he lives - the important bit is that he is happy for as long as he lives with you! He comes as he is and you can't change that; you can only love him all the more for it.

I have lost several guinea pigs to sudden heart failure or medical problems at a much younger age than the one I have rehomed others at. You can simply never know. All you can do is make the time with you count!

It doesn't count how long he lives - the important bit is that he is happy for as long as he lives with you! He comes as he is and you can't change that; you can only love him all the more for it.

I have lost several guinea pigs to sudden heart failure or medical problems at a much younger age than the one I have rehomed others at. You can simply never know. All you can do is make the time with you count!

wow...you put that so beautifully that I can hardly see the keyboard.....x

I realize that but it doesn't change that, no matter what, I'll miss him terribly and wish I had more time.

I'm an extremely pathetic person with a meaningless existence. Scuzzy is everything to me and basically my reason for living. I've never even loved another person as much as I love that little guinea pig.

I realize that's my own problem, but I thought I'd at least explain myself a little. Scuzzy is the first guinea pig I've ever owned and I still can't believe how loving and affectionate they are. He still surprises me with the things he does.

Hey you are not a pathetic person. I can understand you feeling Scuzzy is your reason for being as I feel that way too about mine. I really hope you are going to be able to cope when he is no longer with you. You can message me any time for support. You do not have to suffer alone. I am not sure why you have to rehome him but I am sure you will ensure he is in a loving home.

I am not sure why you have to rehome him but I am sure you will ensure he is in a loving home.

Oh no, I don't have to re-home him. I was referring to how I'll miss him when he passes on. Sorry if I was confusing.

Pigs always leave a big hole when they go but it's a good feeling to know we've done the best we can for them and given them the life they deserve for however long that is.

He'll thank you for every minute of new life you've given him and you are definately not worthless. You've made a huge difference already to one small animal and you've got lots more to give.

No-one is worthless no matter how much we may feel it sometimes.

Big hugs from me and the squeaky boys here. x

Just do what you've been doing, love him and care for him and whee just hope you do have a few more years left together x)x)x)x)

I bet you'll find that Scuzzy will have trained you to be the perfect mummy slave and one day you might be able to become a mummy slave to another piggie :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back