• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

How would I know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
So I got my piggy today, I just want to make sure he is not sick! I probably sound really stupid right now...but you know...we all sound stupid sometimes, lolz. So anyways...I saw my piggy kinda swaying and rocking from side to side a bit...does that mean anything? I mean, I am giving him a little bit of Orange Tang in his water. It is supposed to be very high in Vitamin C, and our local pet store gave it to my friend's guinea pig who was sick. I really hope my piggy's not sick though. But if he is, what do you suggest I do?

I would scrap the orange Tang and just give him a healthy diet, unlimited hay, veggies and pellets.

He was more than likely doing a rumble which is a dominance display does he have a friend?

Oh, okay. He doesn't have anyone else in the cage with him...

I would just give him plain water, adding things to water can stop them from drinking it which is never good.

Weigh him weekly, if he's young he should be putting on a good amount of weight every week. If he's not it could be an indicator he isn't well.

http://www.guinealynx.info/weigh.html

Give him unlimited pellets each day, and lots and lots of good hay - Alfalfa is good while he is growing. He will need fresh vegetables too - introduce them gradually as being from a pet store his tummy might not be used to them.

http://www.guinealynx.info/chart.html

The below link will tell you more about his behaviour

http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=28949

Okay, thanks. I will put plain water in his water bottle. :3

I juist use my kitchen scales! (obviously wash it thoroughly afterwards!):))

I have the flat digital kitchen scales. I place a plastic container used just for this purpose and set the set scales to zero. I put the piggies in the container to weigh them. They are quite still when they are in the container.

Swaying back and forth on the back feet is usual behaviour if this is what hes doing? Have you thought about getting him a cage mate? might give him some company, a younger boar would be great?

A healthy piggie should have bright eyes, a clean discharge free nose, clean ears. He should have a nice glossy coat, fluffed up and hunched up appearance can indicate illness. His poops should be firm but not dry and well formed.

You need to give him unlimited hay, fresh veg/fruit and a good quality commercial pellet food.

Good luck with you new piggie

xx

He seems healthy except he is a bit fluffed up, especially in the cheeks, but not extremely fluffed. His eyes are a little droopy...
Oh gosh. I think he might be sick.
What do you suggest I do? D:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back