• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Humbug has confirmed abscess

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonBon2010

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
The vet stuck a needle in and yes, gunk came out:..... she's been given baytril to take twice a day.. I went straight over to P@H to get probiotics to keep her tummy from getting upset..
The thing is, even though he got some out, it still feels quite firm, it is smaller, for sure though.. I have the feeling she'll be going back to have it lanced properly in a couple of days:(
Has anyone got any recommendations to keep it from swelling right up again?

Freela

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Where is the abscess?

My vet told me to make sure the wound stays open, and that it's okay to try to squeeze out more additonal pus at home. Kind of gross, but it is doable depending on the location of the abscess... one of my pigs had a jaw abscess and that was very hard for us to try to express anything from, but one of them had an abscess on her lower back and it was pretty easy for us to give her a carrot to munch on and squeeze her back while she ate! Unfortunately for her, even after lancing and antibiotics it kept filling up, so she eventually had the whole thing excised under ga. She did fine with the surgery and after that it healed up without incident.

Hope this helps a bit- hope it clears up easily for you!

BonBon2010

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
He said that hopefully it will go back down on its own.. I can't see how, as i always thought that abscesses should be kept open and free draining? I felt for it when I got her home, and to me it will not drain without assistance :(

BonBon2010

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Meds recommendations

The abscess page is under construction on Guinea pig lynx, but, i managed to get info on 3 different non-steroid anti-inflammatory type meds..
Meloxicam, Carprofen and Flunixin Meglumine... any thoughts on these?:)

Little Piggles

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
When Boris had an abscess on his tummy (which burst :( ) we were advised to flush it with a watered down hibiscrub daily and to also squeeze all the gunk out of it to kinda help it heal from the inside

He was also on baytril and it cleared up after about a fortnight and, thankfully, has never refilled.

Hope your little pig is okay x

BonBon2010

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
She seems a bit depressed tonight, i'm a bit worried, but other than being a bit quiet, she is still eating, and interacting with the others, but will phone vets back tomo morning, and try to get her fitted in for lancing of abscess asap, even if it means her staying at vet over weekend, her health comes first..
I think it's causing some discomfort, as when i put her back in, she seemed to wince:(
It's about the size of a marble.. the vet said it was small last night, but I think it's huge in comparison to the size of her jaw.. it's not attached to anything other than tissue, so no threat of damaging her throat/jaw, so that's a good thing.. Though it's possibly a lymph node infection?

BonBon2010

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Update..

Well, she's gone in tonight to have the abscess lanced and flushed out in the morning.. the bill is a bit of an ouch.. cost nearly as much to have a cat's bladder flushed out and a catheter..:x

Little Piggles

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Just caught up with this, hope she's okay :(

My brother's little pig had an abscess on his jaw a few months ago too (it never rains, eh?!) now he's all healed up :) Hope Humbug is soon too

*hugs*

BonBon2010

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Luckily, it's not attached to her jaw.. its the GA i'm more worried about:( I've left Liquorice with her as company.. at least she'll have a familiar face to wake up to :)

Piggyologist

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Luckily, it's not attached to her jaw.. its the GA i'm more worried about:( I've left Liquorice with her as company.. at least she'll have a familiar face to wake up to :)

awwwww, that's so sweat :) hope everything will be fine. from what you have posted it sounds like your treatment is going well. don't worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.