• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Hummmmmm!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonBon2010

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I used to have 4 females living together until I had Missy & Misty (sisters), Patch and Fudge.. the Missy passed away followed 6 months later by Misty8... Now when Missy died, I never replaced her, but when Misty passed away, I got Treacle..
Now my dilemma is, some times, like today, I miss the four little piggies.. it seems a round number, three seems... incomplete:{.. Now, Treacle is coming up to 3.. and there is quite an age gap between her and Liquorice and BonBon who is about 7 months now (roughly) and I feel that if I'm going to have a forth female, I have to make my mind up..
They all lead active lives, BonBon tends to wander off on her own, investigating the back of my bed, popcorning around the room, and winding Liquorice up.. Treacle on the other hand, doesn't give two **** about her, and is quite happy to hang out with Liquorice... or chill out on a comfy bed.. Liquorice doesn't like being out with out one or the other, and BonBon hates being out without Liquorice..
I don't know whether a youngster is best, or a sow of similar age to Treacle, who'll gel with the terrible threesome:)) She'd have to be laid back, and not take too much nonsense from a mini matriach (BonBon, who likes to think she's boss, when she isn't:)))...
My oh, would probably think I'm silly thinking of a forth female when I own 5 piggies (3 females, 2 males).... do you;)?

Have you considered rehoming a neutered boar? Not all older sows will accept one in their group, so it would be good if you could find a rescue with neutered boars that would let your girls (or at least your top girl) meet them for a round of boar dating. But if it works, it would be great - a boar has to get on with all girls and does not interfere with the hierarchy.

Otherwise, you could try a younger sow or an older undersow (i.e. one that is not dominant in herself).

I once had two females, one totally black called Crackers.. and then there was Patch.. Black with a ginger band over her shoulders.. She was underscribably evil.. I'm going back 10 years when I bred them.. Now just before Crackers had her litter, Patch saw 'red' and brutally assaulted her, and sent her into labour... I had to pernamently seperate them, and start two groups, because Patch could not stand the sight of her sister.. the babies were fine, although Crackers was quite shaken by her sisters out burst :(
They were the first two females I had, and couldn't be more different:{
A lot has happened since then, and though I no longer breed them (only did that for 2 years), I miss the little bundles of fur, when they fit in the palm of your hand..
I've never had an older female before or a neutered male (adopted) and although I have the space for one more, I need to be wise with my decision, who I get, as BonBon will most likely say "I'm above you" possibly giving newby a bit of a hiding, so maybe an older girl would be out of the question.. oh:{

I understand your confusion. I was so very worried when I added Boris (my neutered rescue boy) to my three girls that his arrival would cause world war three. It turns out though, that he was the best thing I could've done for my girls. After some initial kerfuffle with my dominant girl, they all seem so much happier as a group. I don't know if this is because he is male or because he has evened up the numbers, but there is no longer any bickering or shoving going on and all four always seem to be together.

Do you have a rescue local to you? They may allow you to take your girls along to see how they get along with their available pigs?

Good luck with whatever you decide. You have my sympathy over your confusion, as I was exactly the same just a few months ago! :)

How successful is neutering a boar? I mean the op, chances of not surviving anestetic? And what effects does that have on their appetite? Do they continue to show mounting behaviour?

My boy was neutered before he came to me, so I can't answer that I'm afraid.

Neutering doesn't affect the behaviour (like a dog or cat) but that said, I have only seen Boris mount my girls twice and Pippa does still seem to be in charge.

Boris is still a growing boy (he's about 8 months or so) but he only eats as much as the girls and weighs very similar to the girls when they were the same age. In fact, he often seems to prefer running and popcorning to eating! rolleyes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back