• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

hutch cover

Teacake

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
how do you make a good hutch cover that will allow there to be fresh air in the hutch but keep out wind and rain?
i can’t order one as the hutch they’re going in is too big.

how do you make a good hutch cover that will allow there to be fresh air in the hutch but keep out wind and rain?
i can’t order one as the hutch they’re going in is too big.
Are they moving out in spring? 😁 how’s your herd of 2 boars? and sows doing?
There is some foil bubble wrap you could use some of that as well.

the hutch itself has double layered wood with insulation in between, with carpet on top, so all i need now is a waterproof layer.
the herd was fine and went great, but i have separated them since the hutch is not big enough for a herd.
they will be moving out in less than a week, they currently live inside but in an area that is not heated so they are used to the cold. (each pig has a snuggle safe)
Are they moving out in spring? 😁 how’s your herd of 2 boars? and sows doing?
There is some foil bubble wrap you could use some of that as well.

a tarpaulin will keep it dry, but it won't keep it warm. do you have a thermometer in the hutch?

are you in the uk? Scratch & Newton make custom sized hutch covers. there are hutch size limits but its an option. I've had two custom covers from them

a tarpaulin will keep it dry, but it won't keep it warm. do you have a thermometer in the hutch?

are you in the uk? Scratch & Newton make custom sized hutch covers. there are hutch size limits but its an option. I've had two custom covers from them
i have insulation (see my previous post) but i need something to keep it dry, i can’t order as my hutch is too big + it’s too late to order anyway (:

i have insulation (see my previous post) but i need something to keep it dry, i can’t order as my hutch is too big + it’s too late to order anyway (:
How big is your hutch and why is is too late to order?
Sorry if I am missing something obvious.

And do you have a sewing machine?
Maybe a home made cover could be an option.

I bought a Scratch and Newton hutch cover and found that with really heavy rain it still wasn't good enough and needed to put some plastic sheeting that comes on a roll from Screwfix over that. The rain came through to the insulation - a fitted cover I made out of the foil bubble wrap. I put some garden chairs in front of the hutch to allow for air circulation before draping the sheeting over them and the hutch. Some bricks to weigh it down in case of strong winds. A bit Heath Robinson but it worked while the boys were outside😁.

You can get custom made covers I see too, not sure how much they would be....

I bought a Scratch and Newton hutch cover and found that with really heavy rain it still wasn't good enough and needed to put some plastic sheeting that comes on a roll from Screwfix over that. The rain came through to the insulation - a fitted cover I made out of the foil bubble wrap. I put some garden chairs in front of the hutch to allow for air circulation before draping the sheeting over them and the hutch. Some bricks to weigh it down in case of strong winds. A bit Heath Robinson but it worked while the boys were outside😁.

You can get custom made covers I see too, not sure how much they would be....

I found the same with my Scratch and Newton cover. It was ok for light rain but anything heavy or prolonged and it got saturated and ended up with puddles underneath, so I had to put a tarpaulin over it.

I found the same with my Scratch and Newton cover. It was ok for light rain but anything heavy or prolonged and it got saturated and ended up with puddles underneath, so I had to put a tarpaulin over it.

That's really interesting. I have S&N covers and dont have this issue - I'll be keeping a closer eye out just in case though!

When my lot were outside I didn't have this issue either. However I did find that the top front corners were ripping where they rubbed on the fitted insulated cover with the wind but I just put a bit of gaffer tape on the underside every now and again and it was fine. Now that the hutch is in the garage this is obviously not a problem any more.

Also I put bricks under the cover along the front of the hutch to increase the slope of the roof, to help the rain run off quicker. It has helped, but not solved the problem 🙂

Also I put bricks under the cover along the front of the hutch to increase the slope of the roof, to help the rain run off quicker. It has helped, but not solved the problem 🙂
I had to do that as well and we had such heavy rain this autumn before bringing the piggies in, we ended up moving the hutch into the garage where they stayed until we got their winter accommodation ready in the house.

Back