• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Hutch Help!

Zoedarl

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm looking ahead to get my two boys a new outside hutch for when the spring arrives and the weather is a little nicer.
Has anyone got any recommendations of a good, sturdy and large enough hutch for them. Any pictures or links to ones you have would be much appreciated
Thank you all! 😊

The chartwell hutches are good for being outside (I’ve seen them on amazon)

I have the bluebell from pets at home for my two boys. I wouldn’t recommend it for outside use though (mine is in the piggy shed) as I don’t think it would cope well at all with getting wet!

I can't find the link for my hutch, but if you get one with a ramp, make sure it doesn't have an asphalt shingles on them. The ramp for mine did. All you gotta do is take off the hinge and flip it over, that way the shingles face down. Then put some outdoor carpet on the wooden side. This keeps your piggy from accidentally eating the shingles.

I got the chartwell 2 storey for my lot. I got it from home & roost as they were cheaper than Amazon. The ramp was a little slippy so we put a side on it and carpeted it and there's been no problems in the years I've been using it. I also brought the insulating cover and the weatherproof cover

I have the 2 Storey Charwell Hutch too with the insulating cover and the weatherproof thermal cover too. It is very good. The ramp now comes with sides to it but I did have to put carpet on it for extra grip. I got it from here Chartwell Double Hutches and I also got the covers from Hutch Hugger™, Hutch Snuggles with Bye Bye Fly Screen™. It is pricey but worth the money. Mine were outside in it for nearly 3 years all year round until I moved and could put them in the garage.

1576363316180.png

This is what I have for my piggy. I would reccomend putting a little wall by the opening of the ramp on the second floor, that way they don't fall. A short wall along the length of the ramp couldn't hurt either.

View attachment 128643

This is what I have for my piggy. I would reccomend putting a little wall by the opening of the ramp on the second floor, that way they don't fall. A short wall along the length of the ramp couldn't hurt either.
I had a similar hutch for my piggies first of all. It is not suitable outside use all year round as unless you weatherproof it wind and rain get in the bottom of it. The wood that is on the ground rots and the back starts to rot too. I had to put a false floor on my old hutch. The inside started to go all mouldy too. The Chartwell Hutch I replaced it with is so much better.

The chartwell hutches are good for being outside (I’ve seen them on amazon)

I have the bluebell from pets at home for my two boys. I wouldn’t recommend it for outside use though (mine is in the piggy shed) as I don’t think it would cope well at all with getting wet!
I currently have the bluebell hideaway 5ft hutch from pets at home. I bought the rain cover for it and have used it since the hutch was brand new. It's an outdoor hutch, about 4 years old now. I had to put some intermittent 'steps' on the ramp because the gaps were too big for my pigs to manage. The lower floor is beginning to sag now at the back and the cover is tatty, velcro side strips had to be reinforced with some strong tape because it was so strong the front flap ripped when undoing the velcro. The lower doors feel like they've dropped a bit and stick on opening and closing. I now have a 6ft Chartwell double on order. Twice the price I paid for my bluebell hutch, hoping it's better quality 🤞🏻

I got the chartwell 2 storey for my lot. I got it from home & roost as they were cheaper than Amazon. The ramp was a little slippy so we put a side on it and carpeted it and there's been no problems in the years I've been using it. I also brought the insulating cover and the weatherproof cover
I have the 6ft Chartwell double on order. Also with the hutch snuggle and hutch hugger. Really hope it's better than my pets at home bluebell hutch.

I have the 2 Storey Charwell Hutch too with the insulating cover and the weatherproof thermal cover too. It is very good. The ramp now comes with sides to it but I did have to put carpet on it for extra grip. I got it from here Chartwell Double Hutches and I also got the covers from Hutch Hugger™, Hutch Snuggles with Bye Bye Fly Screen™. It is pricey but worth the money. Mine were outside in it for nearly 3 years all year round until I moved and could put them in the garage.
Were you pleased with the covers? The pics I've seen online don't show the covers very clearly. £100 is a lot of money for two covers you have to partly imagine! 😮

View attachment 128643

This is a common oversight on a lot of double hutches. All it takes is a reverse too far upstairs and the pig would drop through that gap. I dread to think how badly they could injure themself. Builders wouldn't build a house for humans without a bannister, why do it for animals? 🤷🏻‍♀️

I currently have the bluebell hideaway 5ft hutch from pets at home. I bought the rain cover for it and have used it since the hutch was brand new. It's an outdoor hutch, about 4 years old now. I had to put some intermittent 'steps' on the ramp because the gaps were too big for my pigs to manage. The lower floor is beginning to sag now at the back and the cover is tatty, velcro side strips had to be reinforced with some strong tape because it was so strong the front flap ripped when undoing the velcro. The lower doors feel like they've dropped a bit and stick on opening and closing. I now have a 6ft Chartwell double on order. Twice the price I paid for my bluebell hutch, hoping it's better quality 🤞🏻

I have the thermal cover for it as well and my cover has ripped too where the Velcro joins. My boys don’t mind it and use it quite happily, but the ramp is a little on the steep side. I can imagine as they get older I may have to make modifications if they aren’t as sprightly! I also made some modifications to the ramp as you are right, the steps are a long way apart. I also had a wall fitted on the top level by the ramp to stop falls. With mine being kept in a shed, i didn’t have to be concerned about it being exposed to wind and rain, but I don’t think I’d trust it to stand up to it all that well. My rabbit’s hutch was a much more expensive, very well made and has been outside (with rain covers) for 7 years and doesn’t show signs of weather damage (rabbit chew damage, yes! But weather no!), so I feel that you are better to pay more for a more sturdy hutch

Were you pleased with the covers? The pics I've seen online don't show the covers very clearly. £100 is a lot of money for two covers you have to partly imagine! 😮
Yes the insulating cover is very good. I found that with the thermal cover that goes over the top the top corners tended to get rubbed against the tip of the hutch in the wind and eventually formed holes so I reinforced them with a bit of strong carpet tape from time to time and this sorted the problem.

I have the thermal cover for it as well and my cover has ripped too where the Velcro joins. My boys don’t mind it and use it quite happily, but the ramp is a little on the steep side. I can imagine as they get older I may have to make modifications if they aren’t as sprightly! I also made some modifications to the ramp as you are right, the steps are a long way apart. I also had a wall fitted on the top level by the ramp to stop falls. With mine being kept in a shed, i didn’t have to be concerned about it being exposed to wind and rain, but I don’t think I’d trust it to stand up to it all that well. My rabbit’s hutch was a much more expensive, very well made and has been outside (with rain covers) for 7 years and doesn’t show signs of weather damage (rabbit chew damage, yes! But weather no!), so I feel that you are better to pay more for a more sturdy hutch
I put a barrier at the gap at the top of the stairs too. Couldn't risk one of them backing away from their food dish and slipping down the hole 😞. You can see it here and it extends right back to the wall of their bed partition

Attachments

• MOV_0142_000007.jpg
    MOV_0142_000007.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 26
Yes the insulating cover is very good. I found that with the thermal cover that goes over the top the top corners tended to get rubbed against the tip of the hutch in the wind and eventually formed holes so I reinforced them with a bit of strong carpet tape from time to time and this sorted the problem.
Does the thermal cover go around the back of the hutch too?

My Chartwell 6ft double came today! When we unpacked it, the roof was damaged and the tongue and groove had not been correctly slotted together on both side panels. So disappointed 😥. Home and Roost are going to arrange replacement parts for me.

My Chartwell 6ft double came today! When we unpacked it, the roof was damaged and the tongue and groove had not been correctly slotted together on both side panels. So disappointed 😥. Home and Roost are going to arrange replacement parts for me.

That's a shame but it's good that they are resolving it quickly for you

That's a shame but it's good that they are resolving it quickly for you
Yeah it is. Home and Roost only sell it, they don't manufacture it, so it's not their fault. The odd thing was some of the damage was on panels that were in the middle of the boxes. And none of the boxes themselves were damaged 🤷🏻‍♀️

Yeah it is. Home and Roost only sell it, they don't manufacture it, so it's not their fault. The odd thing was some of the damage was on panels that were in the middle of the boxes. And none of the boxes themselves were damaged 🤷🏻‍♀️

I had similar with my temporary indoor cage from zooplus. The door was missing! That's a whole panel :)) they did send a replacement but it's annoying when you want to use it straight away lol

I had similar with my temporary indoor cage from zooplus. The door was missing! That's a whole panel :)) they did send a replacement but it's annoying when you want to use it straight away lol
And also when you have a husband who's reluctant to help put the hutch together in the first place. I have to beg and plead with him all over again when the new parts come 🙄. I bought some vinyl to put on the floor of the hutch too. Guess it will all have to wait a few more days

Back