• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Hutch Size

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a size to me? Been asked to build a hutch and have no idea what size to go for.

I think i read 4ft by 2ft would that be right?

Hi There Daniel!

It's great to see you doing your research! Have you considered if the Guinea Pigs will be kept outside or inside?

The RSPCA standards is 4ft x 2ft for 2 Guinea Pigs only of course the bigger the better!

Welcome to the forum.

Jo

I think one and don't shoot me as i have no control over how many. And i think outside but will check.

Do they need a separate sleeping area?

I think in that case, you shouldn't get a Guinea Pig at all. Guinea Pigs live in herds and enjoy each others company they are very social animals and enjoy interacting with one another.

In my opinion it is not fair to put an animal who normally lives in a herd on it's own granted some members may have pigs on there own perhaps they didn't know better at the time, the pigs fellout or the pig doesn't get along with others even then you will find they live next door to another pig or they are the centre of attention in the household.

Why is it you want one Guinea Pig?

Did you not read the first post i did?

Can anyone recommend a size to me? Been asked to build a hutch and have no idea what size to go for.

I think i read 4ft by 2ft would that be right?

If you read that the hutch is not for me and i have no right to tell someone how many they should get, i can only advise like you do.

Sorry didn't see that, 4ft x 2ft is correct for 2 Guinea Pigs Only and yes they get a sleeping area. Perhaps you can pass the information on.

Its okay and thank you. I agree with you but i can only advise.

Should the hutch have a under run with the ram around the one side to keep floor space free?

How big should the sleeping area be?
Anything else you can advise on would be great.

If putting a ramp in I would do it so not steep, and put a side/banister on it to prevent the guinea pig falling off.
I would probably make the sleeping area 1' of the total width of the hutch leaving 3' as the day area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back