Hysterical Shrieking!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guinea-pigGaga

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
One of my sows has the most awful shriek - Anything will set her off!

I'm ashamed, and embarrassed to admit that it has gotten to the point where I am considering rehoming - Perhaps, she needs more attention than I can provide?!

However, I am finding that this behaviour is beginning to effect the relationship I have with my other guinea pigs - I have to continually leave the room!

Is there anything I can do to discourage this behaviour?!

Flutterby

Anniversary Herd
Reaction score
Is it an attention seeking wheeking? As in she wheeks for your attention all the time? Perhaps she's just an opverly exuberant piggy who likes the attention. I wouldn't consider rehoming her because of it. Perhaps try and find some more toys or things that could possibly interest her and take her attention for a little while. Do you have any kind of routine with the piggies?

Dindypig

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Is she still very young? The youngest is usually the screamer. Whenever we have had a young addition to one of our groups, they have taken on the responsibility of Town Crier. They will scream at any opportunity to alert everyone that the food person is around. They have always settled down after a while. Although Patty, our Himmi (or is that herri?) only went quieter after a younger addition took on the roll.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with @Dindypig; I have made the same experience. My Telyn ended up with her nickname, which translates as "the harp", sticking because she had a truly ear splitting big wheek and she just couldn't shut up when she was excited, no matter how often Llewelyn or one of the other adults swiped her so they could get some sleep!

Just try to not react to the wheek or tell her off gently so she learns that it is not welcome, but give her plenty of attention and praise when she is quiet.

Status
Not open for further replies.