• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

I am going away on holiday

Munching Maniac

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I’m going on holiday for one week and my mum is looking after the guineas but I am unsure and anxious about leaving them because my mum may not follow my Guinea Pig routine and she will not do a weekly check as I do. Any advice ? 😬😬😬

As with all this heat, my mum won’t bring guineas into the cool shed that we put them in if it is hot 🥵. And i am the only one who looks after guineas so I am the only one who knows about how to keep your guineas safe in a heatwave. Need advice...

As you’re only away for a week I’m sure it will be okay to miss your weekly check for one week - unless you have a pig that needs weekly attention. I would discuss having the pigs indoors during the very hot weather with your mum - if she is looking after them I’m sure she wouldn’t want them to suffer under her care. Just try to impress on her how pigs aren’t able to sweat and therefore can’t regulate their temperature in extremes very well. Or put your pigs in the shed and keep them in there while your mum is looking after them.

As with all this heat, my mum won’t bring guineas into the cool shed that we put them in if it is hot 🥵. And i am the only one who looks after guineas so I am the only one who knows about how to keep your guineas safe in a heatwave. Need advice...

Here is our hot weather advice with the vital bits repeated: UK Record heat warning - How to keep your guinea pigs alive!

As to the other care:
- your piggies will cope with a different routine. I have a pet sitter coming in once daily to feed and water my nearly 30 piggies whenever I am away and just checking on whether all of them turn up for dinner. The piggies are OK with that - they even know the difference for wheeking for front door opening only if nobody is in the house!

- missing a weekly check is not a problem if your piggies are healthy and well.

Back