• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

I Built The Ultimate Guinea Pig Cage!

shadow elenter

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello,

I've been reading along here for quite a while now and got a lot of info but this is my first post here, so...
Hi everyone, I'm Onno, 28 years old and I own one piggy(currently looking for a new mate for her but she's a bit of a bitch) named penny.
In light of wanting to set her up with a new mate we build her a massive new cage, and we went all-out!

Considering our living space is very limited we made the choice to expand her living space in the upwards direction.
This cage is the second cage of this kind I made, her previous cage was also open front and U-shaped, but not as tall and not as convenient in terms of cleaning.
the first one was also a 9mm multiplex cage but that wan did not have a finish coat on it, BIG mistake because it got dirty in ways I couldn't clean.
This one had several coats of finish and is cleaned as easily as if it was made from plastic. To be exact, it's coated with a poly urethane finish. that's not a healthy thing to eat for a guinea pig... I know. But the PU finish does not taste nice to guinea pigs so they DO NOT gnaw on it

The prototype was also stacked on top of the plastic basis, so when cleaning it I'd have to lift the entire thing off and that was not very handy.
In this design I improved upon that by making it so the plastic basis can slide out like a drawer and the main structure just stays in place.

I'm very curious what you all think of this palace, and what can be improved upon!

that looks like its very well made ! - my piggies arent too keen on ramps so thats why i choose to expand outward but I'm sure penny will love it! also (just a side note) that would be absolutly perfect for rats or degus who would particularly like the tunnel bits... seems like a cool project, congrats!

I have to say reading your little description of Penny had me chuckle! She's a bit of a madame then? Well a lady needs a palace and it seems you've built her one. What does she think of it? :)

Hello,

I've been reading along here for quite a while now and got a lot of info but this is my first post here, so...
Hi everyone, I'm Onno, 28 years old and I own one piggy(currently looking for a new mate for her but she's a bit of a bitch) named penny.
In light of wanting to set her up with a new mate we build her a massive new cage, and we went all-out!

Considering our living space is very limited we made the choice to expand her living space in the upwards direction.
This cage is the second cage of this kind I made, her previous cage was also open front and you-shaped, but not as tall and not as convenient in terms of cleaning.
the first one was also a 9mm multiplex cage but that wan did not have a finish coat on it, BIG mistake because it got dirty in ways I couldn't clean.
This one had several coats of finish and is cleaned as easily as if it was made from plastic. To be exact, it's coated with a poly urethane finish. that's not a healthy thing to eat for a guinea pig... I know. But the PU finish does not taste nice to guinea pigs so they DO NOT gnaw on it

The prototype was also stacked on top of the plastic basis, so when cleaning it I'd have to lift the entire thing off and that was not very handy.
In this design I improved upon that by making it so the plastic basis can slide out like a drawer and the main structure just stays in place.

I'm very curious what you all think of this palace, and what can be improved upon!
Omg, blooming awesome!

Hello,

This cage is the second cage of this kind I made, her previous cage was also open front and you-shaped, but not as tall and not as convenient in terms of cleaning.

WOW

brilliant indeed! congratulations for your great idea! and thank you for sharing your project with us!

Thank you for all your kind words;)

my piggies arent too keen on ramps

She's quite used to them and does not seem to mind sins her previous cage was somewhat similar in build, on top of that her food bowl is upstairs so my lazy furrball will sort of have to.

This is the first cage:
1mAr1hW.jpg

What does she think of it? :)

Well at first she was very disorientated her previous palace was in some ways similar and in some ways different...
When I put her in for the first time, she ran up, expecting something els and got very confused when she came to a dead end:P
She quickly found her way though and ad an added bonus there's more corners and places where I can hide food for her so her happily purring food scavenging expeditions take longer and are way more fun for her now:D Also she REALY seems to like the round hole in the center wall and she purrs every time she passes thru it:love:

In other good news...
She's not alone anymore!:yahoo:

uLA2P4c.jpg

We got a very young female from the shelter (someone dumped a pregnant lady on there doorstep:hb: and this is one of the offspring).
All we have to do now is figure out a name for her... any suggestions?

Thank you for all your kind words;)

She's quite used to them and does not seem to mind sins her previous cage was somewhat similar in build, on top of that her food bowl is upstairs so my lazy furrball will sort of have to.

This is the first cage:
1mAr1hW.jpg

Well at first she was very disorientated her previous palace was in some ways similar and in some ways different...
When I put her in for the first time, she ran up, expecting something els and got very confused when she came to a dead end:P
She quickly found her way though and ad an added bonus there's more corners and places where I can hide food for her so her happily purring food scavenging expeditions take longer and are way more fun for her now:D Also she REALY seems to like the round hole in the center wall and she purrs every time she passes thru it:love:

In other good news...
She's not alone anymore!:yahoo:

uLA2P4c.jpg

We got a very young female from the shelter (someone dumped a pregnant lady on there doorstep:hb: and this is one of the offspring).
All we have to do now is figure out a name for her... any suggestions?
Awwwwww it seems Penny's day just gets better and better lol. New cage and a new bff- what more could she want? She's adorable.

Back