• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

I Cant Find Any Fresh Grass

dup1nz

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello, I'm a guineapig owner from Turkey. I bought my guineapig at first of February. he's with me since that. I posted a few threads about something else. But now I have a problem. I know his diets %80 is fresh grass or hay, in back months I was picking grass from parks etc. and feeding him with that. (I'm washing it first) But it's almost summer, my city is really hot, so there isn't any grass no more in my neighborhood. I have a full sack of hay at house, bought it first time when I get my piggy, but he like fresh things and hay have no flavor or any tasty smell,I'm trying to flavor it with really small chopped peppers but he only eat little parts of pepper, not the hay. I'm worried about how am I gonna feed it. really can't find any grass and it's very important part of their diet. I thought maybe forum can find a solution to this. thanks.

Hi,
I live in the Netherlands and we also have no grass in autumn and winter.
The most important thing is hay. If you change and replenish this daily, there is nothing to worry about. You can give different vegetables. They often have to get used to it. Think of green vegetables such as lettuce, cucumber or a bean. I also give chicory myself. They sometimes also have to learn to eat peppers. Keep offering it and they will eventually eat it.

All you can do is continue to provide lots of hay and hope they start to eat it when grass isn’t on offer. Throw in loads of hay in a big pile and hopefully he will show interest

Most piggies are going to prefer fresh grass to hay when it’s on offer but given the large quantities that are needed it’s usually impossible for owners, and I’m speaking as a UK based forum here, to provide enough fresh grass. Our piggies here would not get the chance to refuse hay as it is all we can offer so I’m not sure we are going to be able to have any tried and tested solutions to this.

I would however say that it is very important you increase the amount of weight checks you do while you are trying to get them to eat hay. Weighing them is the only way to know they are eating enough.
Any weight loss over 50g will tell you that they are unlikely to be eating enough hay and may need you to step in.

Vegetables will not replace hay intake so please don’t be tempted to try to overfeed veg instead.

If and when you can get them fully into a hay based diet, I would say to make sure you don’t feed much fresh grass in the future as you don’t want to go through this again.

Weight - Monitoring and Management

Is it at all possible to try a different hay? I know if I try feeding my guinea pigs meadow hay they're not just going to refuse to eat it, they're going to ignore it entirely. They'll only eat stalky timothy hay. Most guinea pigs don't like stalky timothy hay, so it might be worth trying different hays if you can to see if they'll try something different.

Hi,
I live in the Netherlands and we also have no grass in autumn and winter.
The most important thing is hay. If you change and replenish this daily, there is nothing to worry about. You can give different vegetables. They often have to get used to it. Think of green vegetables such as lettuce, cucumber or a bean. I also give chicory myself. They sometimes also have to learn to eat peppers. Keep offering it and they will eventually eat it.
All you can do is continue to provide lots of hay and hope they start to eat it when grass isn’t on offer. Throw in loads of hay in a big pile and hopefully he will show interest

Most piggies are going to prefer fresh grass to hay when it’s on offer but given the large quantities that are needed it’s usually impossible for owners, and I’m speaking as a UK based forum here, to provide enough fresh grass. Our piggies here would not get the chance to refuse hay as it is all we can offer so I’m not sure we are going to be able to have any tried and tested solutions to this.

I would however say that it is very important you increase the amount of weight checks you do while you are trying to get them to eat hay. Weighing them is the only way to know they are eating enough.
Any weight loss over 50g will tell you that they are unlikely to be eating enough hay and may need you to step in.

Vegetables will not replace hay intake so please don’t be tempted to try to overfeed veg instead.

If and when you can get them fully into a hay based diet, I would say to make sure you don’t feed much fresh grass in the future as you don’t want to go through this again.

Weight - Monitoring and Management
Does your piggy have a friend? :)
Is it at all possible to try a different hay? I know if I try feeding my guinea pigs meadow hay they're not just going to refuse to eat it, they're going to ignore it entirely. They'll only eat stalky timothy hay. Most guinea pigs don't like stalky timothy hay, so it might be worth trying different hays if you can to see if they'll try something different.
thanks to Everyone who replies. I get that I have To introduce him hay. he's now eating it. I added a video of him but I'm not sure if it's uploaded or not. thanks to everyone again.

thanks to Everyone who replies. I get that I have To introduce him hay. he's now eating it. I added a video of him but I'm not sure if it's uploaded or not. thanks to everyone again.

I'm pleased to hear he is eating hay.
Please make sure you carry out the weight checks regularly so you can be sure he is eating enough

Back