I cut the quick

horsefeather

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My poor sweet little Lulu. Stoopid black feet. I went to trim and she moved and I snipped too short. I didn't have any styptic powder so I had to call the Evet bc the bleeding wouldn't stop. They said cornstarch and it worked. She didn't even cry out. My poor girl. She got a whole(small) baby carrot

Sweet Potato

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Poor baby! Hope she's ok. As most of my piggies nails are black I am all to familiar with cutting the quick and the panic and guilt that goes along with it. She'll be fine but don't be too harsh on yourself, these things happen.

Winniepeg

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Oopsy @Claire W is right we’ve all done it. Three of my six boys have black nails and they are way more difficult to trim. I tend to take a tiny bit of nail off weekly/fortnightly. You can see the quick if you have someone who can shine a torch on the nail minding piggies eyes of course. Don’t let this incident knock your confidence 😊

Merab's Slave

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
That’s why I always have a little dish of cornflour at hand when I do nail clipping.
Wriggly piggies pretty much guarantee that one quick gets nicked.
Don’t worry - they soon forget, especially encouraged by some bribery.

dan3008

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Even professionals cut the quick sometimes. Dont be too hard on yourself. Lulu will be fine :)