• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

I don’t know what to do

Dandy.faisca

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello✋. My recent guinea pig (I've had him for 2 months), Dandy, is now a bit obsessed with climbing up on me, and doesn’t think about doing anything else. Before he liked to climb my father, but now dandy doesn’t care about him. He sometimes even bites me when he climbs me, and when I don’t allow it, be gets a bit angry. I don’t know what to do. I love him so much, but this is kind of annoying. Any advice?

What does he do when he gets angry? And does he sit on your shoulder when he climbs up on you? Maybe he’s biting you because he’s aiming for your hair... I’m not entirely sure to be honest.

Another thing is are you planning to get him a friend? Piggies really come out of themselves when they’re with another of their own kind. Human interaction can’t match that at all.

Someone more knowledgable will be along in the morning to answer your question.

How old is he? If he is young its normal, its just your pig being playful, i treasure these times. Both of my pigs did this when young. They are testing whats what , and are interested in everything.

Get your pig a friend if you havnt already, its cruel to keep them alone, no matter how much human attention they get, they are prey animals, bottom of the food chain. They need security with their own kind 👍

Have a browse through the Behaviour and Bonding information threads.
There’s some advice there about biting.
Sorry I can’t link them for you.
I’m tagging @Wiebke for you as she has the expertise to advise you better

Hello✋. My recent guinea pig (I've had him for 2 months), Dandy, is now a bit obsessed with climbing up on me, and doesn’t think about doing anything else. Before he liked to climb my father, but now dandy doesn’t care about him. He sometimes even bites me when he climbs me, and when I don’t allow it, be gets a bit angry. I don’t know what to do. I love him so much, but this is kind of annoying. Any advice?

Hi and welcome

Is Dandy an only piggy as I strongly suspect?
In this case, he is desperate for company, guidance and affection. The best gift ever you can make him, is to find him a same sex mate. Guinea pigs are group animals and not wired to be on their own. Right now, he is projecting all his social and emotional needs on you, including any dominance tussles with authority as he is starting his teenage months.

Please take the time to read this information here. You will find it very interesting and also helpful in understanding what is going on:
Companionship

Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips
Who is the boss - your guinea pig or you?

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
" Biting" And What You Can Do

I have written an in-depth two part article about single piggies in various situations and the challenges they pose for an owner for Guinea Pig Magazine in the last two issues, #48 and 49. You may find it very interesting. You can order them from this site here either as a print or a cheaper download: Guinea Pig Mag

My two boys love to cuddle up on my shoulder (they are like a pair of parrots) Is the odd nibble telling you he needs a pee and wants to be put back in his cage or is it a full on bite?

I think he probably is desperate for a little companion x

Back