• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

I dropped my skinny pig...

Oliver_chance

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello. I dropped my skinny pig and don’t know what to do. He jumped right out of my hands and landed on the floor it was a three and a half foot fall. I checked him over and he was fine. This was four days ago and he seems fine. My mom won’t take him to the vet and I don’t know what to do.

I’m afraid the best thing to do would be to take him for a check over at the vet. You can never know what (if any) damage has been done internally. Piggies are also very good at hiding illnesses. If your mum isn’t willing then I’m not entirely sure what you can do apart from continue pleading his case.

Does he have a friend or live alone? They shouldn’t be kept alone - they’re very social and need constant company from their own kind.

I am sure someone will come along with sound advice soon. Most of the members are in the UK, so middle of the night there. I hope your skinny piggy continues to do well. Accidents happen, we just have to make sure we deal with any fallout.

Your piggy needs to be taken to a vet. That is a very large fall and they are very delicate creatures.
Your mum has a duty to provide veterinary care when it is needed

I am sure someone will come along with sound advice soon. Most of the members are in the UK, so middle of the night there. I hope your skinny piggy continues to do well. Accidents happen, we just have to make sure we deal with any fallout.
Thank you! I really hope he’s ok!

Your piggy needs to be taken to a vet. That is a very large fall and they are very delicate creatures.
Your mum has a duty to provide veterinary care when it is needed
Hey! My mom won’t take him to the vet. I will try and get my dad to go with me. He seems to be fine but I don’t wanna take a chance.

I’m afraid the best thing to do would be to take him for a check over at the vet. You can never know what (if any) damage has been done internally. Piggies are also very good at hiding illnesses. If your mum isn’t willing then I’m not entirely sure what you can do apart from continue pleading his case.

Does he have a friend or live alone? They shouldn’t be kept alone - they’re very social and need constant company from their own kind.
Hello! My dad might take him to the vet. He does live alone due to the pet store not having any other piggies for sale. I’ll try my best to take him to the vet🤞

Okay good. Let us know how he gets on.
As for living alone, was he alone when you got him? I’d start looking at rescues near you and see if any of them have any single boars looking for a new home. Hopefully you could take your boy in for dating so he chooses his own friend.

Okay good. Let us know how he gets on.
As for living alone, was he alone when you got him? I’d start looking at rescues near you and see if any of them have any single boars looking for a new home. Hopefully you could take your boy in for dating so he chooses his own friend.
He was alone when I got him. I will definitely look into rescues 🤗

To be honest, I know that it's not best for the guinea pig to live alone but if you cannot care for this one as needed (ie being able to take him to the vet when he needs one) then is it really a good idea to get a second? Vets bills add up and I know it's not easy but perhaps think of working if you aren't already so you have the money to get to a vets and pay for transport/medication as needed

To be honest, I know that it's not best for the guinea pig to live alone but if you cannot care for this one as needed (ie being able to take him to the vet when he needs one) then is it really a good idea to get a second? Vets bills add up and I know it's not easy but perhaps think of working if you aren't already so you have the money to get to a vets and pay for transport/medication as needed
Hey (: my dad is actually taking him to the vet. We have the money ofc but my mom just does not see the need to take him to the vet. Ofc Ik to take him to the vet.

Glad to hear it. Let us know what they say.
Have you checked for rescues near you? I’d also advise you look for info on skinny piggies. They’re a lot more work than hairy piggies. @PigglePuggle @HeatherRose and @Flutterby have them.

I don’t think coconut oil baths are a necessity unless they have an issue with their skin. In which case you’d be beat placed taking them to the vet. Who told you they need the bath?

I don’t think coconut oil baths are a necessity unless they have an issue with their skin. In which case you’d be beat placed taking them to the vet. Who told you they need the bath?
Yes its a bit of a myth that skinny pigs have dry skin and need oiling, some may do but in this case you would want to see a vet first to rule out mites and fungal infections first as you would with any skin complaint in any guinea pig. I have never once needed to bath or oil Tallulah, she has beautiful chocolate skin that needs no grooming or care at all!
But she does need about 50% more food and does about 50% extra bonus poops, also she gets bored wasily and is hyperactive, and the main issue is keeping her warm enough in winter (and cool enough in summer, she seems to heat up fast as well as get cold easily, on hot days she chooses to sit closest to the fan).
Do you have a good vet nearby @Oliver_chance ?

Hello. I dropped my skinny pig and don’t know what to do. He jumped right out of my hands and landed on the floor it was a three and a half foot fall. I checked him over and he was fine. This was four days ago and he seems fine. My mom won’t take him to the vet and I don’t know what to do.
The best thing to do is to take your piggy to the vet, cavies don't have much of a change in behavior when ill or injured, so it is good for a professional to check them out. Guinea pigs are small, fragile rodents and can be injured easily, so (even though not showing it) they can be injured quite easily. All pets should be taken to the vets as soon as possible if anything that could of injured them occurs.

Sending my hope to you and your piggy xx

Back