• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

I had to seperate my boys :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
My boys have needed seperating due to illness. It will only be for a day or so whilst me find out which one is ill.

They are acting really strange. they love each olther very much and are able to see and speak to each other.

Will they be very unhappy living like this? I will put them toegther during floor time etc and they will be back together asap.

Separation up to two days is usually not a problem.

After that, especially with medical treatment and longer separation (which cause loss of the communal group scent), I would recommend a buddy bath before formal reintroductions in a neutral area.

Best of luck with finding your ill piggy quickly! Are you looking for UTI?

Yep. I have been trying to work out for days which one it is with no hope. I have had them sitting in boxes and all sorts. At the moment they are both on baytril but i dont want to be giving it my piggy if he isnt ill.

I find that an underlay of cheap white towels (or a two to three layer of kitchen paper between fleece and underlay) works well with finding bloody patches, but like you say, finding the culprit when the UTI hasn't reached the painful stage yet, is pretty difficult in a group. Piggies don't have nice bloody pees all the time! Another give away is peed on hay that has been discoloured to a very bright pink - that is caused by the bacteria in the infected urine.

Believe me - it doesn't get any easier in a group of ten! Best of luck - at least, you are already dealing with it.

I put an old white tshirt in tgheir cage ontop of a cushion and there was lots of red pees on that. But as you said its finding who did it thats the hardest part haha. They have been on baytril since thursday and the bloody pees have got alot less but there are still a few. They are on the baytril untill sunday so hopefully by then there wont be any! :)

Could you not collect a urine sample from both boys and take to the vet? That way, the vet will be able to test the pee's and tell you which sample has the blood in it. Blood isn't always visible in guinea pig pee xx

I tried doing that claire. I had them sitting in boxes for hours! haha they hated it. They did a few pees but they were all clear. I found out which one it was though after a few hours being seperate they are back together and happy now :)

had no problems re introducing them and all is well xx

Ohh i misread what you said claire! i never thought of doing that i was just looking for the visable signs. Silly me. So sorry about that xx

I'm pleased to hear that you finally found the culprit :) I had to collect many urine sample from my Eliza last year and it was awful. I had to sit her in the pet carrier for ages waiting for her to pee and she would never go when I wanted her to! xx

I am glad that you know who it is and that both boys are back together!

PS: the best way to collect a urine sample is by sitting a piggy on a bare wipeable surface and wait until you have several pees. Not every UTI pee is bloody - in fact, not every red pee necessarily contains blood (Llewelyn pulled that one on me last year!); sometimes it's actually the clear pee that has the traces of blood, just to confuse the issue! You still need to know which piggy you are dealing with in the first place...

You suck up the results in a syringe, place it in a sealable freezer bag and keep in your fridge until you can get to the vets.

Thanks so much. I will remember this incase it happens again. Wish i knew this first time mind! haha :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back