• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

I have my piggies yay!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eva

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have two very cute little girls :) they are black with ginger markings and sooo cute they are so shy I put the box they came with into the cage on it's side making it easy for them to come out in their own time. They came from the pet shop but to tell you the truth i am in shock. I phoned and asked if they had any girls before I went they said they had 2 so I went thinking that they would only have 2 when I got there they had 4 in a cage with a rabbit. The rabbit was trying to hump the guniea pigs. When I wanted some of the girls I was told that they had come in from the breeder and when they had come they had their brother in with them. I asked how old they where to be told 14 weeks and I dont think they had been in to long so they could well be pregnant I think? By their brother I am hoping not as I would not have a clue what to do but I thought they where better of with me then there Anyway while she was putting my new piggies into boxes the rabbit started to hump one of the piggies faces I said she could not let that carry on and I would take all four to make sure it did not. She said there was no need and she would sort it out I asked her if she was sure she said she was and picked up the rabbit by the scruff of it's neck! it's back legs where kicking everywhere. Now I have had rabbits as well and know you dont pick them up like that their back legs are so strong I am sure there is something about it being able to kill them being picked up like that. I feel so bad about leaving the others with her but I cant take them all in case they are pregnant. But what a horrid place :(

thats why i never go into pet shops! i would consider taking them to see a vet to make sur they are in good health. maybe a vet could tell you if they are up the duff!

They seem to be in good health very shy though (I would be if I had been left there for a while) I am itching to give them a cuddle dont think that would help them much at the mo then. If they are pregnant I am sure it will show then I will take them to the vet. I am shocked at how awfull the pet shop was though is this normal then? its just you said you never go to pet shops cos of this if this is normal pet shop care I think they should make it a LOT harder to have a pet shop.

aye everytime i go into a pet shop i always see a poor mistreated piggie! thats how i ended up with frodo,fudge and doo-daa! (rip)

Last time i went to a pet shop to pick up some hay i saw loads of rabbit in a tiny cage. One rabbit in particular caught my attention. his head was lop sided. He came to the front of the cage to see me and the only way i can describe it is his neck sort of twisted and he tumbled over it was as if he couldnt hold up his head. I told the guy in the pet shop and he said "its fine they were checked by a vet, its the breed" i said like i am no moron THAT is NOT normal he siged and went to take a look "oh yeah not right is it" he assured me he would take it to a vet. I neaqrly bought him so i could take him myself but i had to think of my piggies health. i reported him to the rcpca. he is still open. :(

Once you are able to hold them i would check them over, nails, teeth and look for signs of flaky skin etc

I deffo will do and if there is ANYTHING i think is not right they will be going to the vets ASAP. it makes me soooo sad and sick that people can treat pets like this I had no idea things where like this. I want to shut them in a cage ( the pet shop owners) and give them the same treatment :(

You have to assume that both girls are pregnant.

Please give them double the amount of vitamin C in form of vitamin C rich veg like pepper or broccoli. Weigh them weekly. An increasing weight gain every week points to pregnancy. Increased thirst is another early sign of pregnancy.

Best have them seen and checked by a vet soon; but be aware that even he can't be sure one way or another about a pregnancy that is not well advanced. Many general vets are also not very experienced with guinea pigs.

The horrible thing about this is that as far as the pet shop and the breeder are concerned, they have made a sale and your two girls will simply be replaced by others, equally carelessly bred and kept ones!

The only way you can hurt them is to either categorically not buy from them and rehome from a rescue or slam them once a pregnancy has been confirmed. Demand an extra cage and provisions for the babies and compension for the extra vet cost.

Have a look in our pregnancy section and you will see that sadly shop pregnancies are anything but rare, even though standards differ between shop even from the same chain. Yours seems to be one of the worse ones.

You can alert the RSPCA that guinea pigs and rabbits are kept together n that shop; but don't expect much to come from that.

Last edited:
Its so unfair I know that one of the ways to stop them is not to buy at all but these poor little girls I could not leave them there :( That's of course if they even are girls I dont think they had a clue. I will check as soon as I can hold them I dont want to scare them to much and have left them alone to settle in. They did warn me they may be pregnant but I could not leave them there to have there babys if they are. I am very lucky and I do have a good vets for little pets that I know of I just want these little ones to be ok :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back