• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

I Messed Up. Bad. Please Help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is very hard when the babies die so early. My pregnant sow gave birth on Wednesday and one was already dead and the other survived and is doing well. I did the best I could for her and it sounds like you have been doing the same. It is said that only 20% of births go 100% well so it is nothing that you have done at all. Were the babies very big do you know? It could be either they are really big or really small that there has been problems. Make sure to limit the amount of pellets they have until they have given birth.

Good luck with the rest and I will keep my fingers crossed.

Please don't beat yourself up about this!

I'm sure you've been doing an amazing job!

I don't know much about guinea pig births but I grew up on a farm and I can assure you, no matter what the animal, or how healthy they are, it's always 50/50.

The male could have passed on a genetic defect that didn't appear in his first litter. It may be dormant in them or the sows genes may have dominated over his, meaning the babies were fine.

I've seen that happen many times before. For an example, we had a cat who had wonderfully healthy kittens every year, then out of the blue, one batch only survived 24 hours.

Nature is cruel sometimes, but you have done everything we would have done here!

:agr: So many things could have caused this, please don't blame yourself.
I hope you rest well and that things improve from now on :hug:

Odessy (the gray/white abisinian I'm waiting on) is taking me on quite the journey. Her hips have been wide open for a few days now, I don't know what she's waiting for.

It took me far too long to notice that there was a fox in the hen house, so they aren't all due at the same time.

The other two seem to be at least two weeks off, so I'm grateful for the break after this one.

Odessy (the gray/white abisinian I'm waiting on) is taking me on quite the journey. Her hips have been wide open for a few days now, I don't know what she's waiting for.

It took me far too long to notice that there was a fox in the hen house, so they aren't all due at the same time.

The other two seem to be at least two weeks off, so I'm grateful for the break after this one.

Sending big hugs & positive vibes to the piggie-mums-to-be, their babies, you and your partner. I'm wishing on every star in the sky that all ends well :hug:

I've still got 2 more to go. And one looks to be due in the next week, but I've got 3 gorgeous babies, and no mothers have died. I'm going to focus on taking care of the babies, and hopefully the rest will be ok too.

None of them are holding their head weird, or lying on their side. Everything is ok.

Again, thank you all. It might seem small, but your encouragement got me through this.

Odessy came through. 3 gorgeous, fat, and happy babies. She sure took her time, and I've been panicking all wee, but she came through. Thank you all for your support.

:yahoo:Fantastic news! :yahoo:

I hope you have a brilliant weekend and that all goes well with the next 2 births for the mums and babies too.

I have very limited experience on supporting piggie mums & babies through pregnancy, birth & weaning, but my support is always with you and hopefully someone with more experience will be along soon.

:yahoo:Well done, i really am happy for this good news :yahoo:

Yay! That's fantastic! Looking forward to some gorgeous mini-pig photos!

I've still got 2 more to go. And one looks to be due in the next week, but I've got 3 gorgeous babies, and no mothers have died. I'm going to focus on taking care of the babies, and hopefully the rest will be ok too.

None of them are holding their head weird, or lying on their side. Everything is ok.

Again, thank you all. It might seem small, but your encouragement got me through this.

So happy to hear that Odessy made it through with flying colours and everything is ok :luv: :yahoo: :luv:
A good way to check on how the babies are doing is to weight them weekly.
If there is any chance of pictures, we'd love to see them :wub:

We're always happy to help anyone who needs it and we love hearing when it has.

Please keep weighing the pups daily and mums every second day to make sure that they are OK during the nursing period. You are welcome to post pictures of the genitalia if you need help. any baby boars need removing at around 3 weeks, earlier if the are noticeably heavier than 250g at three weeks, a week later if they are still below 200g at 3 weeks old.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/sexing-separating-baby-boars-and-rehoming-babies.109391/
Sexing Guinea Pigs: How to Sex a Guinea Pig

Fab news! I've been thinking about you and your pigs, so glad everything worked out with her! Fingers crossed everything goes well for your next girls! Xx

That's wonderful news. I was also just wondering how you were getting on. You sound much happier too! You are doing a really wonderful job! Piccies are a must at some point

There will be pictures later today. They were all nursing before they were 4 hours old, and two were nibbling at hay at 8 hours. They are all moving and upright and happy.

I'm serriously shocked by just how healthy they are. As far as I know they are supposed to take way longer to start eating.

They are all girls. I checked, but I'm going to check again to make sure. And I've got some calf mana I've been using ever since I started losing babies. They don't get much but it's supposed to help, the nursing mom is going to get extra. I'm hoping that will help her keep her weight, but I'm going to stay on that.

Another thing, Odessy is a wonderful mama. The babies were immaculately clean and perfectly dry. She cleaned up so well it was impossible to tell there had been a birthing, except for the three little fluff balls.

There will be pictures later today. They were all nursing before they were 4 hours old, and two were nibbling at hay at 8 hours. They are all moving and upright and happy.

I'm serriously shocked by just how healthy they are. As far as I know they are supposed to take way longer to start eating.

They are all girls. I checked, but I'm going to check again to make sure. And I've got some calf mana I've been using ever since I started losing babies. They don't get much but it's supposed to help, the nursing mom is going to get extra. I'm hoping that will help her keep her weight, but I'm going to stay on that.

Another thing, Odessy is a wonderful mama. The babies were immaculately clean and perfectly dry. She cleaned up so well it was impossible to tell there had been a birthing, except for the three little fluff balls.

Guinea pigs will nibble on things straight from the start and they are theoretically able to survive on adult food from just a few days old. However, in the first week, they rely fully on mummy's milk that is full of goodies to kick start their immune system and also help their digestive tract cope with the foods they get via mum's dinner plate. The big shift from mainly fluid to mainly solids happens during the second week of their lives. In that phase, you see youngsters often snatch food from their elders' mouths, as that is how they learn to taste what is dafe to eat and what not.
More info on eating and weaning in this guide here from the top of our pregnancy section: https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/after-birth-and-baby-care.109389/

6dnp9LV

I think I've done this right. Here they are! Gorgeous little things! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back